Windshield Work

JanZverina

I thought I'd share the results of a long overdue and pretty successful project I recently completed, and that was to finally do something about 59 years of accumulated wiper haze on the original windshield of my '63 Riv. After some research I tried a cerium oxide polish as a test to see if it really made any difference. The product I purchased (on Amazon) has some how-to videos, and I used my trusty orbital polisher with a high-quality synthetic wool buffing bonnet. I made several passes after marking the wiper travel area on the inside of the windshield with a grease crayon. Apologies for not having the foresight to take a "before" pix but the haze was pretty bad and always bothered me enough to look into a replacement glass, even though I like to keep things original if I can.

I used large drop cloths to mask off the surrounding areas, and removed any polish residue with Windex followed by another orbital application of AutoGlym Glass Polish. Of course after almost six decades my windshield has a few minor chips, but applying some mineral spirits with a soft toothbrush removed any polish residue. Pix attached. I ordered two 3.5 oz. containers but probably used about 5 oz. for the job.

Hope this is of help to anyone wanting to save the original glass in their Riv or other classic Buicks, etc.

IMG_20220821_164243051.jpg

IMG_20220821_160502457.jpg

IMG_20220821_164322332.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JanZverina said:

Hey EmTee, I can't remember when it last rained here in San Diego...

Ha - that reminds me of my experience in Sunnyvale after college.  After driving cross country in my '56 Chevy, I reported for my first day of work on July 1st.  All anyone there was talking about was the rain they received the day before.  It didn't rain again until November...  :huh:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

Looks great. San Diego is a beautiful city. If i didnt live in Los Angeles San Diego would be home

Lived in San Diego 1950-1956 (La Mesa).  Dad was career Navy and a DI at the Naval Training Center right after his 2nd TOD in Korea. 

• Like 1