Trouble Installing Intake Manifold

likeold

So I got everything cleaned up, painted, new studs and gaskets ready to install my intake/exhaust manifolds on my 38 special but they will not pull in tight. Seems the intake ferrules are causing the problem. They are all clean and mounted on the engine tightly. I thought maybe they were tapers but does not seem to be the case. I tried moving the manifolds around while pushing they just will not seat into the manifold? Any tips? I was thinking of a minor bevel on the ferrule with my dremel tool and some grease not sure though.

What type of gasket, if any, are you using between the exhaust manifold and intake manifold? If it is too thick, it might make it difficult to get everything lined up to bolt together. I would try loosening the bolts between the intake manifold and exhaust manifold so they can move slightly and see if you can get the exhaust manifold to start to snug down around the gland rings with the two manifolds able to move a bit. I would recommend using the gland rings, but if you can't get the assembly to seat around them, you might try without the gland rings. I would suspect that the alignment of the two manifolds is just enough off that the gland rings are not lining up correctly with the intake manifold when the exhaust manifold is lined up with the studs.  

Try removing one of the end rings and see it it will go on. As stated, not usually an intake issue, but manifolds can warp a little over time.  If it appears close to aligned, just go with the gasket on that one. 

Okay guys got it all together. I put a small bevel on the outside of the gland rings then tried inserting one at a time and found the culprit. I ground a little bit more off that one. It went all together tight, no leaks and runs great. Thanks for the help!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1