Chrysler 1941 carb related part

Johan Boltendal

Your post said your car was equipped with a hydramatic transmission which I believe you meant automatic transmission.  A hydramatic transmission is a General Motors product. Chrysler had a semi automatic transmission that required a switch mounted on the carburetor to operate.  When the Chrysler car got to a certain speed you had to lift your foot off the accelerator which allowed a switch on the carburetor to send a signal to the transmission to shift gears.  I was thinking the switch in your picture was the one that sent that signal.  I did not look closely at its connection to the float bowl.

If the switch is sensing fuel pressure in the float bowl then I’m not sure what it’s function might be.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

I agree that this is aftermarket, but confused about what it may be.  It looks like it is attached to the fuel inlet on the carburetor with no fuel line going to it.  It also, looks like it has a vacuum diaphragm which actuates the switch, but again, it looks like it is screwed into the fuel inlet, which would have no vacuum.

The semi-automatic transmission on the '41 and '42 Chryslers were vacuum shifted.  The only function of the carburetor switch was to momentarily kill the ignition to permit the transmission to be downshifted for additional acceleration.  It was actuated by the throttle linkage.