Jump to content

Dodge Brothers Threaded Hubcap - Need ID


Recommended Posts

 I am thinning out my hubcap collection and need to identify this DB item. It is fairly large, 3 5/8" wide by 2 5/8" high with 2 3/4" threads. It is pressed aluminum but is quite substantial, made of thick stock. I'd like to know the year and model it came on, thanks for your help.

20220720_150947.jpg

20220720_150956.jpg

20220720_151010.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Passenger cars (DA6 for example) used 2 3/8" threads

My 3/4 ton panel has 2 1/2" threads and I believe they used the same hupcaps on 1 ton up to 1 1/2 ton trucks.

Therefore I'm thinking this is from a 2 to 3 ton truck possibly even a bus from 1928-1932 models. 

 

Remember that rare DODGE radiator emblem someone had a while back that sold? I'd bet they were both from the same type of truck. 

 

 

1931 1932 1933 Larger Trucks.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

Passenger cars (DA6 for example) used 2 3/8" threads

My 3/4 ton panel has 2 1/2" threads and I believe they used the same hupcaps on 1 ton up to 1 1/2 ton trucks.

Therefore I'm thinking this is from a 2 to 3 ton truck possibly even a bus from 1928-1932 models. 

 

Remember that rare DODGE radiator emblem someone had a while back that sold? I'd bet they were both from the same type of truck. 

 

 

1931 1932 1933 Larger Trucks.jpg

Thanks, I will research in that direction!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 10:27 AM, TexRiv_63 said:

 I am thinning out my hubcap collection and need to identify this DB item. It is fairly large, 3 5/8" wide by 2 5/8" high with 2 3/4" threads. It is pressed aluminum but is quite substantial, made of thick stock. I'd like to know the year and model it came on, thanks for your help.

20220720_150947.jpg

20220720_150956.jpg

 

 

Here is my 29 Dodge Bros 3/4 ton cap.

88AF96FD-4849-4BE2-B49C-05B4A5FCA429.jpeg.0032d50cd32beef3948af9ff685531ce.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2022 at 7:27 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

I'd like to know the year and model it came on, thanks for your help.

I‘m using these pages to ID hubcaps.

 

“Innen Ø über Gewinde“ means „ID measured over thread“ (minor diameter of thread). Just divide the given metric number by 25.4 to get the measurement in inches (approximation).

 

H = for Wood Spoke Wheels

S = for Disc Wheels

D = for Wire Spoke Wheels

 

4451FC36-078C-42AA-B237-BCB078EF5885.jpeg

 

B3BB0BCF-8F77-4C39-83AB-7137067ECBBB.jpeg

98E26340-680D-48B7-BFAA-29C4A66E6E10.jpeg

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MCELLIOTT1957 said:

Hi, i have these on my 1924 Dodge brothers touring car. 

Are you sure it's the same exact script and cap? Can you post a photo? This could be a great learning experience for all of us if yours is the same.

 

From my understanding, the first time this script and particular style was used on the face of any Dodge Brothers truck cap was July 1927 for the new 1928 models being introduced from everything I've read and studied in all the truck sales brochures, catalogs etc. If you can prove it was used as far back as 1924 that would be new information that may help others in the DB car and truck community.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edit:

 

In regards to my previous calculations regarding cap #29 I was way off.. please disregard my calculations below this chart.

 

I hope Peter will expand on this and explain things better than I can as these numbers were not correct.

 

image.png.48362098841811abdcadd2e0333e8ef4.png

 

Disregard all of these numbers

 

1.) 57 mm = 2.24 or 2 1/4"  

I cannot think of any 6 cylinder DB car or truck that has 2 1/4" hubs. 
Hoping someone can expand on this with the answer.

 

2.) 58 1/2 mm = 2.30 or 2 19/64" or just under 2 5/16"

Again, unsure what car uses 2 5/16" hubs. Seems very small for a 8 cylinder car especially.

 

3.) 60 mm = 2.36 or 2 23/64" or just under 2 3/8"

As I mentioned, I believe this is the correct one for cars but which ones? I do know they fit on 1/2 ton trucks from experience.

Please post your findings.

 

4.) 77 mm = 3.03 or 3 1/32" or just over 3"

I would assume this large size would be made for buses or larger trucks with 2 or 3 ton weight ratings. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2022 at 12:12 PM, Peter R. said:

 

7DCE176D-528F-4D34-B3AA-FBF1A3A542F7.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Hi Peter, 

 

 I've looked for a translation for these words and cannot gain an understanding of what they mean so I was hoping you could explain what these words mean. Vorderrad and Hinterrad. 

 

Also, do you have another section in the catalog that explains all of these designations in this column that you could share with us? In particular the seven different designations for the #29 cap. I'm curious why the 58 1/2 mm caps have two different designations as this may shed some very good light on this topic. I see that one is 8 and the other is a 6 cylinder but why a different designation? Something must have been different on the cap itself. 

 

Regards
Dave

 

image.png.ce23d5d3c0973966d5a29b4ccc154e1c.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

 I've looked for a translation for these words and cannot gain an understanding of what they mean so I was hoping you could explain what these words mean. Vorderrad and Hinterrad. 

Hi Dave,

Vorderrad means Front Wheel, Hinterrad means Rear Wheel. So used on either front or rear axle.... 🙂

 

Peter

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Peter R. said:

Hi Dave,

Vorderrad means Front Wheel, Hinterrad means Rear Wheel. So used on either front or rear axle.... 🙂

 

Peter

Thanks again for the explanation. 


My panel truck is one of the vehicles that use the same size cap for all four wheels so that never even crossed my mind. Looking at the  other designations I thought it was some sort of code for the catalog.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Looking at the  other designations I thought it was some sort of code for the catalog.

Dave, I assume the designations were part numbers from the parts supplier or part numbers from an aftermarket parts manufacturer.  

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was it an option in 1924 thru 1931, according to your chart, my car should have had wood wheels. Then after '31 was the wire wheels. So I am just guessing that you could have chosen type of wheel needed for your car during the ownership of it. My car has the disc wheels. Thank you for submitting the different hubcap pictures with reference numbers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...