1950 CHRYSLER WINDSOR NEWPORT - $15K Amazingly nice...

Definitely "all the money" for one of these, but Wow! It really looks great! Could it be original?

I'm not up on Post War Chryslers, but can it be both a Windsor and a Newport? 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/salinas-1950-chrysler-windsor-newport/7507288928.html

Amazing Survivor, 1950 Chrysler Windsor Newport. Two Door Hardtop. Looks, Runs, and Drives Excellent. Pagoda Cream Exterior, Maroon Interior. New Wide Whitewall tires, plus spare. No Rust. All Lights and Gauges Work as New. Radio Works. Heater works. No Cracks in Steering Wheel. All Chrome and Stainless are in Excellent Condition. Windows are Perfect. Car is100% intact, Never Modified. Unbelievable Condition for a 72-Year-old Vehicle. Was Already 12 Volt when I took possession of the car. Flathead Six Engine, Fluid Drive Transmission that Shifts Great, only need the clutch to initially start to drive, then it drives like an Automatic. Out and up for Reverse, In and up for two lower Forward Gears, In and Down for two Higher Forward Gears, which is where I cruise it. Asking $15,000, Paul @ eight 3 one- seven 3 seven-86 three 8 with any questions or to view.

00C0C_3DJfHUMuC7Gz_0fn0d3_600x450.jpg00U0U_lQ0cMAKZzPjz_06s08B_600x450.jpg00z0z_7Q9q1KZ3UBKz_0oz0t2_600x450.jpg00101_lCn6ieQxJAqz_0fu0d0_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_7pdxGvDMAYWz_0oL0rx_600x450.jpg00b0b_j2lOyhMeeyhz_0jm0jP_600x450.jpg00y0y_5SO6EAMKPQGz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg01515_jwvT3FvjLZ5z_04Q06s_600x450.jpg00101_6XDvOQLVlqKz_04Q06s_600x450.jpg01616_62pChQybs8Nz_04Q06s_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

I'm not up on Post War Chryslers, but can it be both a Windsor and a Newport? 

In later years, Newport was a model name.

In the years around this car's manufacture, it was

an appended name that was used for the 2-door hardtops.

So it truly is a "Chrysler Windsor Newport."

Similarly, Imperial later called their hardtops "Southamptons,"

and in the 1950's, Buick called their hardtops "Rivieras."

Riviera later became the name for a model.

Various makes had names for their hardtops;

all seemed to evoke names of resort areas!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks like another great MoPar, albeit a bit pricey for a Windsor.  The only thing that would make me uneasy is the 12 volt conversion.  I really don't get why so many people think this is necessary.  Otherwise, everything looks original, as advertised.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Yes, a 12-volt conversion would turn me away from a car.

Was everything done correctly?  If you have an electrical

problem, you now can't buy factory parts to repair it, but

have to figure out everything they modified.

What a fantastic looking car.

It doesn't take much to install an 12v to 6v converter so everything but the starting circuit can be run on 6v. My DeSoto was a butchered 12v conversion when I got it and the converter worked out quite well. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just talked with the owner. I may go look at it in the next few days. Since I have the concourse restored 1949 Desoto Convertible...I know the car inside and out. This one, I would use as a driver.

My only real concern is the availability of the rear glass. I have piles of drums and other chassis parts, extra engines, and transmissions....

So, other than 1950 Chrysler Body items, I am covered.

We will see. James

• Like 2

It Does seem high. If, and that is a big if, the sheet metal is in as good as shape as the seller is maintaining then it may be worth it. I have looked at about 15 cars in the last 18 months from 1945 to 1966 and all of them had either rust issues or so many previous paint jobs that without taking it apart there is no way to know what is under it all.

Excellent body cars are getting hard to find.

Yesterday I went and looked at a 1950 Imperial. $20K. The thing was a rust bucket. "a little sill rust" is what the owner told me on the phone. The entire rear right sill is gone. A quick look under the floor carpet and the pans look like hell.

There is another Imperial on ebay bu a guy in LA. Says it has like 35K miles on it. I ask for service records to back it up and he says he has none just his "experience" that it is a low mileage car that was repainted about 30 years ago. If it only has 35K why was it painted? Oh, he is asking $40K plus for it.

So much fun...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

Yesterday I went and looked at a 1950 Imperial. $20K. The thing was a rust bucket. "a little sill rust" is what the owner told me on the phone. The entire rear right sill is gone. A quick look under the floor carpet and the pans look like hell.

We can all despise dishonesty.  It hurts the hobby,

and what you describe would be costing an unwary

buyer tens of thousands of dollars to correct.

If the seller really didn't know, I can understand a

misstatement; but if he knew, what he told you could

really be construed as fraud, worthy of a jail cell.  It's

good that you checked it out, James.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

Excellent body cars are getting hard to find.

Keep looking, James, they are out there.  Particularly the late 40's and early 50's MoPars.  We have seen many great examples of this on this forum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fossil said:

I don't see the selling price as a deal stopper if this is what your looking for and it's close by. Transporting a car from farther away gets expensive. 

Try to buy one that needs some small paint 'correction" and a bit of interior work for $8500. Then have it wait a year at a shop for paint blow ins and small interior fixing for less than $6500.  This is a bargain for a 1st year hardtop Chrysler

• Like 1