Power Steering Pump: fluid priming

STEVE POLLARD

I just recently installed my power steering pump with new lines on my 1969 Chevrolet Impala SS427. The engine has not been started yet, but I would like to "prime" the pump / lines prior to starting the engine. I was told to either rotate the pully clockwise or jack up the front end of the vehicle and turn the steering wheel lock to lock to prime the lines. Has anyone use these techniques or is there another method ? 

Thanks guys !

Steve

20220630_223311.jpg

The factory refill process doesn't require priming. You just fill the reservoir and with the front wheels off the ground (to limit load on the pump) simply turn the wheels lock-to-lock with the engine running until the groaning stops. Once the foam subsides, top off the fluid.

• Like 3

Following their rebuild of my '54 Cadillac's power steering pump and box,

Lares advised to turn the steering wheel both left and right in small, multiple increments,

gradually increasing the amount of the rotation.

• Like 2

I just replaced the power steering lines on my wife's Envoy.  Filled it up with PS fluid. Started the car and turned the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times.  Let the car sit so the bubbles/air would work out of fluid at the pump.  Topped of the PS pump maybe an hour later with a short drive to test it out.  Works fine with no more noise.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Not really related, but I had a non running engine once and there was no anti freeze in it, just water and winter was approaching.

I drained the radiator and block then put on an antifreeze mix in the radiator and ran the water pump with a jury rigged pully on a drill motor to circulate.

I would guess one could drive a P/S pump with a drill motor.

Wait, is this 427 never been run? Then I see the issue. On initial startup of the 427, one cannot follow the pump priming instructions.

I would leave the belt off the power steering pump until the engine was broken in, then install PS belt and follow the pump instructions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Wait, is this 427 never been run?

Yes Frank, never been run....still have to install the wire harness and new gas tank. Engine has been sitting for the past 6 years, just using a fogging oil and turn over by hand.

Steve