Old age Rot

dodge28

On 7/7/2022 at 10:23 PM, 3macboys said:

Sounds like Howe Island or Wolfe Island...I went to school in Kingston and can't remember how many times the radio reported that the Howe Island ferry was cancelled in the winter

It was Amherst Island

jun6cadi 010.jpg

canday22 182.jpg

• Like 1

Dodge28

You have a decade on me, but that's no the whole problem.   In my teens & 20's, i too haad plent of energy for my car projects, but would lose some interest and the project would sit for times.   Then i decideded that if I got it running and drove ot around the block,

all would be fine.   It was true, new enwery and worlk progressed well until I needed another lap around the block.    Tha plan worked well for all the cars that came after that.   I have fond memories of driving around in a lawn chair or sitting on a box in cars with no body or n doors or hoods and fenders.   The worst part was alys when the engine was at the machine shop and my project looked like a junk yard find.

Get those tire mounted and drive the car in a out and turn it around to work on the shady side.   Reason to move ot will motivate       

you to drive it and speed your restoration.   Also a neighbor hood beer drinker with a strong back can be a good helper for a

6 pack or two every sos often.   A lot of old guys would locve to help like they did as  young men.   Beer is chaap payment for

companionship and a little help.  My 86 year old neighbor is a hard worlker, but not a real car guy, I call him anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I am humbled, happy and elated . There are still good people around. I thank all of you gentlemen and fellow enthusiast with words of wisdom. Where else can one find such word of encouragement. I am moving around and working on my 1972 M G B roadster and 28 Dodge . I will send you some pictures later.

Thank you all 

Harry in Thornhill, Canada

• Like 3

dodge28… maybe if the car is drivable without all the repaint work it might be just nice to drive it as it is. it certainly doesn’t have to look perfect in order to enjoy the drive. and maybe taking it for a drive might inspire you to do the rest of the work that you want. 

• Like 1

Thank you mrspeedyt, to drive it on the road I must have it certified. I need a few things done to pass inspection. I will be installing  the front windshield shortly. The wiper must be working. I bought a new electric motor from the "Filling station", made in Taiwan. Turned out to be nonfunctional. I am repairing the vacuum  motor now Lights are done. brakes done, new tires and steering system done. I am working furiously to have it on the road within a month. It is all primed and ready for paint. Here are some pictures of the 28 dodge.

28dodge 001.JPG

28dodge 002.JPG

28dodge 003.JPG

• Like 3

your Dodge looks good sir. and you’re close to the finish. I myself have sold off almost all of my cars leaving just my 41 Cadillac and my dad‘s RV project that he was doing in the mid 60s. I still drive the Cadillac even though it is in desperate need of paint and interior work… and the 56 Pontiac RV project… it just needs a new home. somebody is either going to continue my dad‘s crazy RV vision or harvest all the remaining 56 Pontiac stuff  for another car project. 

in driving my rough 41 Cadillac sedan I get lots of thumbs up and smiles when they see my very weathered car. it’s a survivor under the probably the worst conditions imaginable. it was a parts car for a 41 Cadillac convertible back in the 70s  and a previous owner pieced it back together with the stuff removed from the convertible. it just isn’t worth restoring (especially at the cost of having that done nowadays) in comparison to what it would be worth. but it is a fun car and I keep it running and driving and smiling!

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Like 3

and the effort required to get the car certified… I’m not familiar with. my 41 cad has been licensed insured and driven on the road since long before I owned it. and I bought it in 1985. yes. I had plans for it to restore it but I had too many other projects and life just got in the way sometimes. but I still enjoy it! just keeping it on the road is enough of a challenge. I had to rebuild the brake master cylinder two years ago. but i got it got done… works excellent and I’m back on the road but not driving a whole lot because of these ridiculous gas prices. it gets one quarter of the gas mileage as my 200,000 mile bad ass prius. (I honestly don’t like that Prius. but it gets decent mileage.)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I find that one has to compensate for diminishing physical abilities. Eye sight is a given but strength must be tested with each new task and is an unknown. I too will be 86 on my next birthday and am in the middle of a head gasket replacement on a 37 Buick straight eight. I know I cant muscle the head off so removed hood, core support to firewall rods as well as miscellaneous hoses and wires to be able to use a hoist. Maybe the big lift will happen tomorrow or if not the sometime next week---not on a schedule. Friend looked at it and remarked that it used to be a 30 minute job but have to accept reality.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:25 PM, dodge28 said:

I need a few things done to pass inspection. I will be installing  the front windshield shortly.

Because I am a month short of 74 all I need is the windshield to have my safety certification affixed to the appropriate corner of it.

Come to think of it I could do that in my teens as well. I just had to drive farther.

• Like 1