Should these numbers match?

Dundee

5592E920-B09A-4D20-9723-01019933CF74.jpeg.689bc4be3c97bf3ef7b2caa249770c38.jpegHi Riv enthusiasts I am making some progress on the 63 purchase albeit slow as I am selling a car to make the purchase but it seems the riviera seller and I have agreed on a few things including price. Therefore I am trying to do more research and start a list/ book of notes. With that I was thinking these numbers should match but the one digit difference almost felt like an number punch error by the apprentice on the assembly line? Am I barking up the wrong tree with the block number and the VIN?

56686FAD-AB40-4A9C-8600-CD91DF8029CC.jpeg

Since no one has a crystal ball to view the past, we can only speculate as to why the VIN and engine stamp doesn't match.

A later replaced engine out of another Riv that was close to this one on the production line?

IMO, it's highly unlikely the block was mis-stamped.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

What you do know is the numbers do not match. Depends on what you are after will depend how important the two numbers jive. If you are going to customize the car who cares? If you are going for a stock restore then number match would be very important. 
In any case the bargaining chip for asking price concession is in your favor. How much depends on overall condition and asking price. Still you have the best case for price concession.

Best of Luck.

Do you by chance have any old paper work?  There’s also a VIN stamped on the top of the frame. Can’t tell you exactly where, but it’s there somewhere.  I would say, without any real evidence, that one of the two is mis-stamped, but which one?  Too close to be a coincidence.

Thanks for feedback and re negotiating I want the old bloke selling to be happy about the sale at some level. I know he has put a lot into the project over decades and ended up with an unfinished project. He gets the cash and I take on the risk, numbers that miss for whatever reason not that hung up and paint and upholstery has already been deviated from original. But I agree with riv nut too close to be intentional and with my eye sight I could easily Grab a 3 instead of a two 😵💫

paperwork ???? Don’t think so but anything is possible when we scoop up all the pieces. Will be visiting the car over the weeks and try and get casting numbers and look for that frame number! In the meantime will post a photo of the Id plate.

Hey 2x4 

Haven’t seen any paperwork on this one yet if there is any and hasn’t been road registered since 1980. Some kind of restoration record I expect. 
Can’t read any numbers on the rego label but highly likely it came from the US to Aus as is re numbers

ECD288DA-BA12-4925-B1F4-DD268A3E043B.jpeg