1930 Model A Gas Tank

FJD2004

I am trying to get a 1930 Model A Roadster back on the road after sitting idle for a few years. I am being told that the gas tank needs to be replaced due to corrosion or at least taken off and properly cleaned and sealed. Can anyone please direct me to someone who can do this work in the Paramus NJ area? Thank you very much. 

Edited by FJD2004 (see edit history)

There is the vintagefordforum.com and fordbarn.com sites which have forums specifically for the Ford Model A.  There are many many posts about gas tank problems and solutions there.  Check it out.  I do not believe anyone is making stock replacement tanks for the Model A.

• Like 1

Removing the tank in an open car is a bit easier than in the closed cars  but it is still a hard job and it is almost impossible to do without damaging the paint.   If the tank is not leaking, instead of removing the tank  I have used a speedometer cable on a drill at low speed to get the loose rust out then vacuumed out the dust and flushed the tank out with acetone .  I then installed a stand off in the tank that is available from the Model A parts suppliers.  The standoff keeps any remaining crud on the bottom of the tank from getting picked up into the fuel line. 

Paul Shinn has a lot of how to videos for Model A repair and maintenance on U-tube including this one for cleaning out a gas tank. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXkVE66teHg

Years ago I took a Model A tank to a local paint/rust stripping place and their process did a great job removing paint and rust, but also removed most of the lead at the steering column bracket on the bottom of the tank.   

I am dealing with the same mess right now with my '31 Roadster. Before taking the tank off I thought I'd pour in a gallon of Evaporust and let it sit for a couple of days. I drained it and it did a really good job of cleaning the tank bottom down to clean metal! I am going to fill it completely with a product called Rust911 (cheaper than Evaporust) and leave it sit for a couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that removing the tank won't be necessary. Will the tank rust again without being sealed? maybe, we'll see. I'll keep the tank full as much as possible and add a little Marvel Mystery Oil once in a while.

What do I have to lose? Having the tank removed, having it cleaned, repainted and re-installed is probably going to cost $1,000. I plan to post results.