Opinions or advice needed,'51 Pontiac assembly putty/sealant used

Andy J

When I disassembled my '51 Pontiac,there was some type of putty or sealant on all the bolts and screws that went into the body and firewall.I'm assuming this was some type of water proofing putty under all the hood hinges and door hinges.This substance was light gray in color and was still soft and pliable,even after all these years.Does anyone know what this stuff is called and can it still be purchased today?I certainly intend to use something of this nature on reassembly,of which I'm in the process of doing now.

Any thoughts,opinions,or advice will be greatly appreciated.

EmTee,that is exactly what I used to seal up the new metal pieces I replaced.This stuff I'm referring to isn't paintable and doesn't skim over and cure.It is sort of sticky and doesn't dry out.However,I don't see why regular seam sealer wouldn't work because it is certainly water proof.

Hmmmm...  I don't know why you couldn't use a dollop of that seam sealer and then bolt the pieces together.  Excess that squeezes out can be wiped off or (as I would do) left and then painted.  Is that how the original goop was applied?

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

This substance was light gray in color and was still soft and pliable,even after all these years.

I believe it is called "Dum-Dum". I swear I didn't make that up. Strip caulk might work.

• Like 1

You are talking Duct Seal:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441

I would use strip caulk on cars. I use Duct Seal on electrical holes where I can stand the grey hands from rolling it to make it soft. 😲

• Like 1