Landau bar ??

Carroll_1

I came across this landau bar in my storage area while searching for another part.  It's about 21" center to center, 10" center to center on the bracket end, and 11" center to center on the open hole end. It's about 1" wide x 3/8" thick. The bracket is broken. The only markings on the piece say, "Pats Pending". I didn't receive a response showing it to the REO group, so I'm stumped.  If anyone recognizes/wants it, I'll send it for the cost of shipping. 

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

53 minutes ago, Carroll_1 said:

I came across this landau bar in my storage area while searching for another part.  It's about 21" center to center, 10" center to center on the bracket end, and 11" center to center on the open hole end. It's about 1" wide x 3/8" thick. The bracket is broken. The only markings on the piece say, "Pats Pending". I didn't receive a response showing it to the REO group, so I'm stumped.  If anyone recognizes/wants it, I'll send it for the cost of shipping. 

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5972.JPG

Looks a LOT like my old 1926 Chevrolet bars....

post-37352-143138452507.jpg

• Like 1

JACK M:  PM me with your mailing address and I'll let you know the shipping costs.

keiser31: That's the best comparison I've seen. Thanks for responding.

Craig

• Like 1

The curves are more gentle on the OP iron. The Chevrolet and Pontiac ones have sharper turns nearer the ends. There must be hundreds of minor variations. I have often wished there was a really good reference material for these dummy landau irons. A lot of cars used them. Finding singles and matching them up could be a nightmare! Model A Ford sport coupe irons have long gentle curves.

Some irons are solid castings. Others are pressed sheet metal rolled and curved, with simple pressed caps for the center pieces. I have looked at a lot of these over the years. I hope I can get another car with them someday.

Fun stuff!

• Like 2

The OP Landeau bar has (nearly) identical curves at both ends, while the above Buick bar has a much sharper curve on upper section. I'm still convinced 1927 era Chev/Pontiac. OP bar looks about 22" CC, my buddy checked the bars on his Pontiac, about 22.25" center to center, 11" and 11.25" to center medallion.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...