U S Royal Whitewall Yellowing

rwchatham

I use U S Royal bias plies on my cadillacs but it is a constant battle to keep hem from yellowing .  Kept in a climate controlled building but still cant seem to keep them as white as when new  , anybody have any tricks or tips ? 

My intuition tells me that your whitewalls are being affected by oxidization and sunlight.  Perhaps you could make a pattern to cover the white part.  Use scissors to cut utility paper and then use wider painters tape to seal and protect them or just buy tire covers.   As for cleaning I have a thrifty solution that works for me, better than most other products!   Oven cleaner from the $1.25 store...use at your own risk and steel wool and or a brush. 

Found in this forum:

I have dealt with this many times. I never use whitewall cleaner on my newer wide whites! It will damage the rubber by striping the oil out of the rubber. I have 12 old cars with white walls, so I have done my share of cleaning. Use simple green, superclean or 409, the trick is soap based cleaner, not bleach! I had a set that were 6 years old and looked 15 years old with cracks on the sides. The last owner used whitewall cleaner often and they dried out and cracked.

If the white walls are yellow, then clean with scotch brite scrubber or wet/ dry sandpaper, the white is deep enough to work with. This has worked on 25 year old yellow white walls, they don't always come all the way white, but are much better.

Now the real trick, after they are clean apply 2-4 thin coats of "mop and glow" . It may sound silly but it seals the tire, the black and white keeps there color with no shine like Armaral. Do NOT use Armaral is it will damage the tires over time.

I have used this treatment for 4 years and saved countless time washing the car, as I don't have to clean white walls any more. They stay clean now and will last much longer with out the harsh chemicals on them. Everyone I have told this to has loved it.

- Steve superbuick

• Like 2

Simple Green + SOS pad has worked well for me when my whitewalls have turned yellow. The problem is that the black rubber is seeping through the liner that is supposed to divide the black rubber and the white rubber. It's a common problem with modern whitewalls and the solution is only temporary, unfortunately. Mine stay white for about two weeks before they start to yellow again, sadly.