1966 riviera bushing kit

Rafz66riv

Rafz66riv,

NEVER buy ANYTHING that contains ALL the components in one kit.  Mostly all China junk that will wear out faster than the old good original parts that are still installed.

Learn how to check individual components & ONLY replace what's nec.

Seldom do inner tie-rods go bad on these vehicles. Same with adjusting sleeves. Same with upper ball joints. Lowers, more than likely yes, but learn how to check. They are available at MANY auto parts suppliers like NAPA. Again upper & lower control arm bushings. Readily available through various outlets. Just DON'T use Poly bushings as I find they ride too hard & start squeaking over time. Sway bar links & bushings. Instead of using the stock sway bar upgrade to a bigger bar for increased stability which will come with links & bushings. I have these in stock. Think about a rear sway bar & better shocks. I have these in stock also. Think about upgrading to a faster ratio steering box. Brings the car up to modern specs. & feeling/driving. Check the condition of the drag link/center link. Check the rear panhard bar/track bar bushings. Causes a lot of problems with handling & it's said the front end needs to be rebuilt just because who ever is checking the front end doesn't know to check the rear end. I have these bushings in stock in Poly.

Same with the strut rod/brake reaction rod bushings. When new they needed to be replaced at about 50K. I carry these in stock in Poly also. I DON'T use Ploy in places where there is a lot of suspension articulation as I stated they ride too hard & start squeaking. 

I could run you through it step by step. Some require two people. Most just one's self.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I learned to stay away from kits a long time ago. You may find the parts in plain brown boxes of unknown origin. I agree with Telriv. A few years ago I got a listing of the MOOG numbers for the suspension of my '48 Packard and put a search notification on Ebay. I got a full set of MOOG parts within a couple of months for around $300.

Polyurethane bushes ride like skateboard wheels, same stuff. However I do like poly swaybar bolt grommets. They feel good.

Even though your existing bushings are 50+ years old you can avoid tearing the rubber if you do work that extends the control arm travel, like putting in shocks or springs. I loosen the through bolts and use a large chisel to spread the control arm away from the inner serrated edges to allow the arm to swing independent of the bushing. Then bring the car to rest at normal height before tightening. Just an ounce of caution to buy some time.

I can understand making a kit available is something full of good intentions, but I know the road that takes.

• Like 1

I bought the front end rebuild kit for my 68 from P-S-T Suspensions PST | Car & Truck Suspension Parts | Performance Suspension (p-s-t.com)

1966 Riviera kit: 

Original Performance Super Front End Kit (p-s-t.com) ($585)

My mechanic was very happy with the quality of the parts, though, it had reaction rod bushings for the 1969 Riviera, not a 68. I ended up having to buy a TRW reaction rod kit for my 68 but P-S-T reimbursed me for that cost.
Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1