Trunk Lid differences

I did not know, that the 89 Trunk Lids are different from the 90/91..

after searching for a "new" Trunk since last June, I finally found one ( 89 Burgundy) and got it painted ( even the entire inside) and while I was trying to mount it, I realized: there is no lift support bracket!!!!! well, F$^$% me! 

decided to drill a hole, screw the hinge in and it worked for 24 hours...because now, they both broke off, metal deformed and mood through the roof....

trunk...jpg

fucking trunk.jpg

You purchased a deck lid from a very EARLY build 89, one built in the early months of 1988. Let me have the VIN and I'll tell you the month. When you go shopping, before you buy something, ask one of the people in the TCA Owners Club!

The Forum is fine for conversation, but the knowledge is in the OFFICIAL Club. That is not to say that there aren't knowledgable people here.  You got your answer here, late.

• Like 1

The very early 89 model trunk lids have a very different trunk lid hydraulic rod system that actually mounts to the floor area of the trunk and has a second rod on each side. I've never really paid attention to how those hydraulic rods (struts) mount to the lid itself. Searched for a photo and looks like the lid isn't different, probably just a bracket that goes inside the trunk lid for the hinge bolts to go into.8NnAlVeTe.JPG?t=160459517632

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:53 PM, shelbyone said:

after searching for a "new" Trunk since last June, I finally found one ( 89 Burgundy) and got it painted ( even the entire inside) and while I was trying to mount it, I realized: there is no lift support bracket!!!!! well, F$^$% me! 

decided to drill a hole, screw the hinge in and it worked for 24 hours...because now, they both broke off, metal deformed and mood through the roof....

Here is a photo of my 89 #200766, a fairly early build but with the later trunk lid strut mountings.BA947463-53DF-4A04-9C4F-DBBCA758D060_1_201_a.jpeg.edd09a063d4b75848b4166fa583f6e3c.jpeg

I would have thought you would notice the difference between your original lid and the one you purchased.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

Here is a photo of my 89 #200766, a fairly early build but with the later trunk lid strut mountings.BA947463-53DF-4A04-9C4F-DBBCA758D060_1_201_a.jpeg.edd09a063d4b75848b4166fa583f6e3c.jpeg

I would have thought you would notice the difference between your original lid and the one you purchased.

since I was not aware of the issue, I was just happy to find a lid after almost a year ( for a reasonable price) and got it painted....only then, I found out the hard way...anyway..I am fabricating a solution

On 3/23/2022 at 3:48 AM, Hemi Dude said:

and all this, because someone thought, it might be "cool" to put a rack on it!....

On 3/23/2022 at 3:48 AM, Hemi Dude said:

You purchased a deck lid from a very EARLY build 89, one built in the early months of 1988. Let me have the VIN and I'll tell you the month. When you go shopping, before you buy something, ask one of the people in the TCA Owners Club!

The Forum is fine for conversation, but the knowledge is in the OFFICIAL Club. That is not to say that there aren't knowledgable people here.  You got your answer here, late.

Shelbyone, I appreciate your last comment about the rack on the trunk lid.  One on my TC's has developed a leak where water started appearing in the trunk.  I could not figure it out.  I finally put a sheet of plastic over the trunk lid and the water stopped.  I am swapping with one of my red parts cars but will still have to have it painted because the clear coat is bad.  And Thanks to Hemi and Ghostymosty for telling us and showing us the difference.  Bob

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:53 PM, shelbyone said:

trunk...jpg

fucking trunk.jpg

You show us this we’re close up photo of your new lid. That threaded hole appears to be a mounting point for the strut anchor to the lid. A wider shot of that would give us all a better idea.

Would you show where you mounted the strut anchor that ripped out?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hemi Dude said:

You show us this we’re close up photo of your new lid. That threaded hole appears to be a mounting point for the strut anchor to the lid. A wider shot of that would give us all a better idea.

Would you show where you mounted the strut anchor that ripped out?

once my contraption is completed, I will post a pic!