Turn signals on 35 buick

Buick35

Do it if you want it. Lots of people do. I thought I could not live without them when I bought my most recent jalopy, but then found that I fell back into the habit of hand signaling almost instantly. It plumented way down the priority list. The biggest problem on some cars is finding light housings that do not detract. If you have 2 tail lights and you also have front fender lights you may be able to hide it except for the controls.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is a problem with some of those oldies, or maybe not depending on how you look at it. There are 2 basic types of switch, 4 wire and 7 wire. Those aren't always the exact number of wires, but those are the 2 classes, and it is usually the number of wires too.

If the switch is a 4-wire you cannot share the signal light with the existing brake light bulbs in the back. You have to add another bulb (and usually another lamp housing) to each side for the signal. Unfortunately a lot of the really cool looking ones are 4 wire, and people usually want to share the brake lights, and can't.

One unit that might be useful is the "Guide 6004". It probably originated in the late 40s or early 50s, but it is small, unobtrusive, and looks like it could be prewar even though it isn't. There are a whole bunch of versions, clamp styles vary, indicator color, paint color etc. varies. They were made in both 4 wire and 7 wire versions, but the cool thing is that they all have the 7 wire switch inside. The missing wires can be soldered in after the fact. They also have cancel, if you can get the cancel tire to contact the back of your steering wheel.

• Like 1

Buick35,  You should have a running light inside the headlight housing,   That is where I will put mine.   You can use 6 volt bulbs there.   (LED also ).   I bought several sockets from  Bob's  Auromotive and chose one that required a small increase in the opening.  The sockets I chose have two extended tabs to hold it in place.'.    You could pit two yellow LED lights in the corners od the rear window.   Then would be relativly invisable.     I'm putting two Motorcycle tail lights in my rear window  (LED ) that have a yellow  section that would be small but bright.  Dual function.   1/2" height and 7" long.    You  woulf have to provide 12 volts for that change.   Again,  easy 12 volt supply for them.   Ad a second mechanical switch just like the original brake lights.   Use a 'rechargeable battery' to provide 12 v to run those lights only.     If your really good,  I'm going to replace the rear brake light lens with Yellow LED lights that will become my turn signals.   Not easily seen but only  comes on then you need turn signals.   The motorcycle strip lights run on 12 volts.   Because they are LED,  they use very little power.   So,  being able to get bright red brake lights and turn signals works out.    .   BTW,  the motorcycle LED lights are about $16.00 each.]

• Like 1

Buick35,  You should have a running light inside the headlight housing,   That is where I will put mine.   You can use 6 volt bulbs there.   (LED also ).   I bought several sockets from  Bob's  Auromotive and chose one that required a small increase in the opening.  The sockets I chose have two extended tabs to hold it in place.'.    You could pit two yellow LED lights in the corners od the rear window.   Then would be relativly invisable.     I'm putting two Motorcycle tail lights in my rear window  (LED ) that have a yellow  section that would be small but bright.  Dual function.   1/2" height and 7" long.    You  woulf have to provide 12 volts for that change.   Again,  easy 12 volt supply for them.   Ad a second mechanical switch just like the original brake lights.   Use a 'rechargeable battery' to provide 12 v to run those lights only.     If your really good,  I'm going to replace the rear brake light lens with Yellow LED lights that will become my turn signals.   Not easily seen but only  comes on then you need turn signals.   The motorcycle strip lights run on 12 volts.   Because they are LED,  they use very little power.   So,  being able to get bright red brake lights and turn signals works out.    .   BTW,  the motorcycle LED lights are about $16.00 each.]

EmTee has an excellent option.   Pick your poison and protect your rear when stopping.   The 35 series cars had adequate stop lights - - FOR 1935 - NOT TODAYS TRAFFIC.    if your showing your car and they want to take away points,  your car is a driving car,  not a trailer queen.   So what.   I want a safe driving car on todays roads.   

I like to use arm/hand signals, and where we live it the country, most folks are slower paced to not care about traffic flow or speeds or signals.

In the city, my teen son waves this to keep patron attention on driving protocols as other drivers resharpen their engagement.  Per our laws, driving is a privledege, not an entitlement.

I would install turn signals on my Buick if I had to, but not yet, I can wait just a little while longer for another year or two...

20220130_203600.jpg

Having two and keeping them separated to show left and right is best.      Here is mine.   My lights are wired this way because the wires come out one end.    It has 4 different configurations.   All;  bright red for brakes,  All, medium red for running lights,  one end - approx 2" - yellow to be used for turn signal.      So I put one on each end of the rear window.   put the yellow so it would be on the far end of each showing that I was turning in that direction,  etc.    Just my way.   We are full of tourists who are lost most of the time - so having bright brake lights is mandatory and having yellow at eye level should help.  JMHO......

0C782976-BBA9-4FBF-9484-3D011E059FC3.jpeg

• Like 1

I added signals the my 38 Buick. I changed the light base to a two filament in the front fender parking lights. The column mounted set also gives me 4 way flashers if needed at night on the side of the road.