1896 Hagenlocher

bill witmer

Met a fellow at the Dunkirk,N.Y. flea market /car show in 1975 maybe 1976. I think his name was Floyd Smith. He was showing an 1896 Hagenlocher. Does anyone know what  became of Mr. Smith or the Hagenlocher?

• Like 1

I thought about the vehicle just last week. I’d like to buy it if the current owner would consider selling. If the price is right I might donate it to the AACA for display. Please forward my name if possible. Thanks George Albright Ocala Florida. Cell weekdays best 352 843 1624. Email. Gnalbright@gmail.com 

• Like 1

If I had that car, I'd take on the London-to-Brighton.  Then I'd take it in my trailer to one-and two-cylinder tours along with my '07 Cadillac; on the most benign day (or maybe two days) of the 1&2, I'd drive it in place of the Cadillac.  And I'd give rides to every kid (young or old) who wanted one!

• Like 6

Thank you to all who replied to this topic. I appreciate the information. Bill

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately Floyd died in the crash of his private plane back in the 90's. He had built a beautiful museum work area building on the grounds of his company in Fairview PA. As far as I know his collection remains there. He had some very unique and great cars such as an Auburn Supercharged Boattail. Smitty was quite an interesting guy and was a pleasure to be around. Vast amounts of knowledge and never give up attitude.  I was a young man in the 70's and he was an unforgettable inspiration in my life and I owe him much gratitude for my successes in business. His company name was Automation Devices if anyone wants to check on the collection. I moved away 10 years after his death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fairview. Had to look that one up, about as far away in PA from me as one can get. On Lake Erie. I did not interpret the post as saying there is a museum there as much as he had a museum like display area. Would be nice to see what its like though.

Thank you for the updated information. Happy New Year to all.

• Like 1

I had time this morning and

called the company and was 

able to speak with one of

the Grandchildren.

The company is now three

generations of family 

ownership and most likely

going to be four with luck.

The car collection is private

and has been reduced but they

still have that car.

It sits up on a shelf in a 

custom container that was

used to transport it everywhere.

The Family will never sell it

but it might be possible to

be seen by a car club or

group with advance notice.

I am waiting for a return call.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I received a call yesterday

from the Grandson.

The car is not available to

be viewed - the tires have

deteriorated - it is on rims

and it needs to roll in and

out of the storage box.

The car will be kept on

a shelf in storage and not sold.

Jim 

• Like 1

Thank you Jim. Kind of a shame that it can not be seen. When I saw it at the Dunkirk flea market I thought wow what a unique vehicle. It was in an enclosed trailer but Floyd would let you go in to look at it. Thanks again. Bill

• Like 1