1956 Buick Seat Track Question

larryo

I'm currently restoring a 1956 Buick Super Convertible.  The car was in a mostly disassembled condition when I bought it.......most of resto parts were included.  Unfortunately, I'm missing the front seat tracks. This model was equipped with the 2-way power seat option.  I do have all the seats and power seat motor/actuator screw.  What I'd like to know is if the seat tracks that are used for the 2-way power seats are unique ........or are they the same tracks used for the manual actuator seats. I have not found any photos, drawings or description of the 2-way seat operation. Hometown Buick does discuss the 6-way seats in detail but not much info on the 2-way.  I'm wondering if they just use the same manual seat tracks and drive the seats fore and aft with the electric drive screw.

If that's the case I can more likely find some replacement tracks.  I've attached a photo of the seat before it was disassembled that shows a portion of the original seat track and a photo of the existing seat actuator.  

Really appreciate any info or help.

Thanks, Larry

Seat Actuator.JPG

Seat Slide 2.JPG

Have you access to a master parts book?  That might give some clues.

Seems the power tracks could be same as manual tracks less the spring loaded ratchet and notches that holds position but that’s just a WAG.  I bet a manual one could be made to work.  Sorry can’t be of more help. 

My 1960 Parts manual does not cover the seats.  And I would think a manual seat track is not adaptable to any power seat track since it would not have the adjuster screw.  If anything I would think a 6 way power seat track could be utilized as the forward/rear track would likely be similar to the 2 way track. But this is also a wild guess.  Wish I could help more.  

• Thanks 1

Larry,

The 1956 Buick Master Body parts book lists: adjuster, front seat group # 11.561 part number 4666309 (rt) and 4666310 (lt) fits 56C, 73, 76C, and 76R all use the same part number. ALSO used in Cadillac.

MANUAL seat adjuster part number is different. I hope this helps.

Edited by NailheadBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This may be a question an owner of a convertible will certainly be able to answer. Could you perhaps rephrase the title, "help on 56 Buick convertible seat track" or something similar that may assist in a convertible owner looking at the post and answering. Only a suggestion.

If this helps: My 55 Century convert came to me with no seats, just the power actuator bolted to the floor. After removing the manual track locks I used the seats and tracks from a Special parts car with no problem. The screw actuator locks the seat in whatever position it is stopped in...........Bob

BuickCentury-0002.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for your responses.  I'm really at a loss here having not done the disassembly and getting to see what the 2-way tracks actually look like.

I'm guessing I could make a manual track work.  I've been offered a pair of slides from one of our thoughtful members but just do not know if they are the correct type.

I've included a couple of photos. I'm guessing these tracks are from 6-way seats.  Can anyone verify that for me.

Does anyone happen to have a photo of a 2-way power seat track?

Thank you all again,  Larry

seat tracks 1.jpg

seat tracks 2.jpg