Parking Lot Gathering Northern CA

TerryB

29 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Hey there Grimy, does your 'evil twin' know he is supposed to be able to read the Motometer from the driver's set? 

Well, if one doesn’t actually drive a car much, it really don’t matter which way the Motormeter faces or whether it even works. 🙄 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Hey there Grimy, does your 'evil twin' know he is supposed to be able to read the Motometer from the driver's set? Gotta love that Stutz, regardless.

We have had several discussions on that issue.  I told him how to index the motometer to the cap--needing only a crayon and a suitable socket to loosen the motometer.  But he is an electrical/electronics engineer, and wants to cut holes in varying thicknesses of rubber gaskets until he achieves j-u-s-t the right thickness to allow the business side of the motometer to face the driver.  But he hasn't done that yet.  My dear friend of 60 years will spend a week doing an engineering plan for it, and 10 minutes doing the actual work.  🙂 

I'm standing my for your expected retort, Bob.......  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

But he is an electrical/electronics engineer, and wants to cut holes in varying thicknesses of rubber gaskets until he achieves j-u-s-t the right thickness to allow the business side of the motometer to face the driver.  But he hasn't done that yet.  My dear friend of 60 years will spend a week doing an engineering plan for it, and 10 minutes doing the actual work.  🙂 

I'm standing my for your expected retort, Bob.......  🙂

Sounds a bit like me, except I don't have any engineering degrees, but I do tend to spend excessive(?) time on planning (and over-analyzing) some of the tasks before I do them.

7 hours ago, Grimy said:

We have had several discussions on that issue.  I told him how to index the motometer to the cap--needing only a crayon and a suitable socket to loosen the motometer.  But he is an electrical/electronics engineer, and wants to cut holes in varying thicknesses of rubber gaskets until he achieves j-u-s-t the right thickness to allow the business side of the motometer to face the driver.  But he hasn't done that yet.  My dear friend of 60 years will spend a week doing an engineering plan for it, and 10 minutes doing the actual work.  🙂 

I grew up with that. My dad was a brilliant engineer in both high power and electronics, down to the sub-component level (basically molecular level!). It is actually quite rare for someone to be top level on both extremes. 

5 hours ago, TTR said:

except I don't have any engineering degrees,

I am in a similar boat. I never got degrees on the wall, although I have had extensive training from numerous real engineers and much of my working career was doing the work of real engineers. I did however learn from my dad's example to NOT go the path of never getting things done because too many hours were spent figuring out how to do a ten minute job.

As long as I had him in my life, he wanted to restore an antique car. He never did it. I have restored, driven, and enjoyed a dozen of them. When he died, I had to dispose of a half dozen cars he was still planning to restore.

Looks like a nice gathering of cars.  The Stutz is interesting, and that Dodge looks great.

Being an engineer, I understand somewhat the planning, on the other hand at some point one has to make things happen.

There was an engineer in the company I worked for, and he was promoted to Plant Manager, so I worked for him briefly.  One of my duties was buying natural gas, as we were the biggest consumer in our area of same.

There are two ways to buy natural gas.  One can contract for it at a set price, or one can buy it in an ongoing manner on the spot market.  I'd worked up a few scenarios to show how best to proceed, as usually a combination of the two is advised, as some cost is locked and some may go up or down.  It's hard to explain when one has locked in all gas at cost of X, when the market price falls to 1/2X....

Two meetings with the Plant Manager, each almost two hours long.  No decision from him.  A third meeting, and he started going over the same information explained over and over before.  I told him that's it, either make a decision or I'm leaving the meeting, we're wasting time.  I had another job in the company that I could apply for, as a Capital Project engineer, so when he got mad  I promptly applied for and got the other position.  I knew I could work with him.

He couldn't make a decision, as he was so concerned he'd make the wrong one.  It's called "analysis paralysis", one can't make things happen since one is so busy studying options.