Price of Steering Box and Power Steering Pump - 65 Rivi GS

Craig Balzer

I am having some repairs done to the steering and suspension on my 1965 Riviera Gran Sport.

I'm being quoted ~$180 for the new Power Steering Pump and $1600 for Steering Gear Box. The price of the Steering Gear Box seems ridiculously high.

Is that the going rate?? Is there a better place to go

Craig

HI Craig,

The price you're being quoted for the steering box is crazy.

I would look to replace your broken box with a GM variable-ratio box with a good one from a junkyard, or have one of these rebuilt.  They bolt right up.  I believe the VR boxes were used in GM full size from mid-70's on up.  That's what I did when my box went south.  I can check further for the application you need.  These VR boxes were used in millions of GM cars back in the day and are NOT rare by any means.  An added bonus of these is they are quick ratio, so giving you less than 3 turns, lock to lock.

Keep your old original steering box.  If your Gran Sport had the H2 ride and handling package then it would have a quick ratio (2.75 turns) steering box.  The standard boxes were 3.25 or so turns lock to lock.  Your original box can be rebuilt, but certainly for far less than $1,600!

Hope this helps,

Standard box is 4 1/4 turns lock-lock. H2 is 3 1/4 turns. My fast ratio boxes are 2 1/2 turns. Feels like rack & pinion.  Even has the same feel as stock but not loosey & goosey. 

My 2017 Buick is rack & pinion & is also 2 1/2 turns.

Tom T.

9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

For what its worth, my experience with the `65 Rivs is that the standard steering box is 3 and 7/8ths turns lock to lock and the H2 quicker steering box is exactly one turn less at 2 and 7/8ths turns.

Tom Mooney

That 3 7/8 turns is what I can confirm for a Standard 63 Riviera counted at the steering wheel. This number of turns is provided by the suspension stops. The knuckle movement is limited by the lower control arm. The steering gear box on the bench will provide some more rotation from its lock to lock. I guess both values are right, but were measurements taken at different places.

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

For what its worth, my experience with the `65 Rivs is that the standard steering box is 3 and 7/8ths turns lock to lock and the H2 quicker steering box is exactly one turn less at 2 and 7/8ths turns.

Tom Mooney

Thomas, please help satisfy my intense curiosity and tell me how you measure the lock to lock steering?

Turbinator

3 hours ago, OldGerman said:

That 3 7/8 turns is what I can confirm for a Standard 63 Riviera counted at the steering wheel. This number of turns is provided by the suspension stops. The knuckle movement is limited by the lower control arm. The steering gear box on the bench will provide some more rotation from its lock to lock. I guess both values are right, but were measurements taken at different places.

Frank,

How much more rotation are you measuring? My measurements for the `65 box are the same whether installed in the vehicle or on the bench.

Tom

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Frank,

How much more rotation are you measuring? My measurements for the `65 box are the same whether installed in the vehicle or on the bench.

Tom

Sorry, I did not measure the rotation on the steering Box, I did not had it out of the vehicle. I  have counted on the steering wheel only. Disconnecting the tirod ends will provide same result, as on the bench. The difference is maybe not a full rotation, but The steering gear Box will allways provide more travel/ rotation than what is needed/ restricted by the Suspension. Some gear boxes do not like to be forced into the limits of Travel. They need an solid stop by the suspension to be protected. An large offset between left and right tirod adjustment can also lead to a damage of the gear box when it comes to it physical stop before the suspension travel restriction is reached. GM steering gear boxes are maybe not critical, But I don‘t now this for sure.

I do not have taken all the measurements, but what Tom T. Measured on the bench (4 1/4) and Tom M. (3 7/8) at the wheel sounds right to me. 

Just want to say do not compare apple with pear when it comes to comparing steering gear ratio by counting rotations lock to lock. There are two locks in the steering gear and linkage system. 

Edited by OldGerman (see edit history)

On 12/2/2021 at 10:28 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bob,

Number of rotations of the steering wheel or steering input shaft from full left to full right.

Tom 

Tom, makes plenty sense. It was exactly as I thought. But one never knows. For instance there is a gloss meter that measures how much shine metal reflects. It’s worth having so I can show customers cast aluminum is not chrome. I can get the turbine looking pretty good, but the turbine is not chrome. Some customers expectations are getting too high for me. I won’t be rude, but I will be direct. 
Thanks again 

Turbinator

Hi Craig,

Here, from Vol. 9 #2, pg 13 is the info I used to find a replacement steering box to replace the broken one in my '65.  I went to a local wrecking yard and found a GM car containing a suitable donor box to replace mine.  It's still working fine:

image.png.7a39d28284dec19262eadf19516895e0.png

More info on steering boxes here:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/saginaw-steering-boxes

Hope this helps,

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned this is where MY boxes shine.  It doesn't go from slow to fast or fast to slow. It's the same throughout it's entire range besides having the same driving/feeling as stock. This part was very important to myself.

Although more costly they have an EXCELLANT warranty of 3 years unlimited mileage.

Tom T.

I want to thank all who have responded and provided leads and tips.

I found an ad on the V8Buick forum from a guy who rebuilds not only the steering gear box but rebuilds my leaking pump steering pump. He sounds very helpful and just the ticket.

Thanx again to all.

Craig

I know that CarHex (Hector) supplies the "800" boxes for the A-Body cars. I don't think he does the "808" boxes for the full size cars without adaptations nec. 

It's NOT a true bolt-in swap as mine are. I could be wrong though & hope I am.  I may just have to start dealing with Hector in the future IF this may be true.

Tom T.