1939 Buick Special - $18,500 (Ventura)

The speedometer does NOT read MPH rather it reads KPH.  I wonder if that correlates with the spark cover? This maybe a Canadian model.  The engine is painted black and for '39 models it would have been gray.  Were Canadian engines painted black?  In this market these special sedans don't fetch a lot of money.  This one with no factory radio or heater is priced to high.  Maybe some where in the neighborhood of 16 grand would be more appropriate

5 hours ago, deac said:

The speedometer does NOT read MPH rather it reads KPH.  I wonder if that correlates with the spark cover? This maybe a Canadian model.  The engine is painted black and for '39 models it would have been gray.  Were Canadian engines painted black?  In this market these special sedans don't fetch a lot of money.  This one with no factory radio or heater is priced to high.  Maybe some where in the neighborhood of 16 grand would be more appropriate

Don't know about Canadian engine color, but replacement engines in the USA were painted black. I had one in a '38 Special I had years ago. "R" prefix in the engine number.

'39's had some quirks, like frame rails that ended somewhat short of the end of the car, at least in the early models. I agree, $18.5K is a little rich for a Model 41.

10 hours ago, deac said:

1939 Buicks had speedo face glass with 10 mph and 15 mph graduations. Changed during production. From photo I cannot make out if 10 or 15.

In 1939 Canada would still be miles and not km

Also it may just the photo's but dash may be painted black and not faux woodgrain finish

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Taking another look the speedo is in MPH. I read the early 39's the speed read 15 mph graduations.  Mid-year Buick changed it to 10 mph graduations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...