1950 Dodge Wayfarer Coupe Black

In my thread on "why does a car interest you?"  I mention jalopies that in my head would qualify as an improvement over my HS situation.   I had a 49 Plymouth Special Deluxe and this would have been at least a step up, if not a step and half.

It has 47 watchers,  so there is something appealing to others also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154709226267

This is a very original example that is in excellent shape for its age. The paint I was told by the previous , is original. It shows no signs of a repaint. The previous owner had owned it for 30+ years. The 90k miles are original to the car as well. The body is very solid, no rust spots or anything like that, the paint is in great shape, with a polish, it can be very nice. Has some minor chips along the edges, but nothing major. Frame and undercarriage is solid. Interior is in good shape, headliner has some rips, bench is in good shape. All the chrome trim is there

Recently done:

New brake lines and drums on all 4 corners.

New carb

New plugs, wires, etc.

Flushed and recoated gas tank

New front tires, thats why the rears dont match.

Clean title in hand

Image 1 - 1950 Dodge Wayfarer

Video on YouTube:

56 minutes ago, supercub said:

Looks like a nice car. Good price for a car that has been well cared for and gone thru. I would show a more complete engine photo and consider flipping the white wall around to match the other black.

What is "HS situation"?

High School Situation.   Driving a 49 Plymouth 2 Door Special Deluxe given to me my dad while lusting after anything more cool.  Really a GTO Convertible, but this business coupe would have been a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ: 

Your High School cool would have taken a major boost if it had been a 1949-'52 Dodge Wayfarer roadster.

Steve 

funny you should mention that Steve. I already had my GTO, when there was a 49 roadster in the want advertiser. $1200, which was a lot of money for me then, but I would’ve roped my dad in 50-50. When we went to see it, the condition was to put it mildly, disappointing.

I have paid attention to them ever since, but never bought one. I think it would be one of those situations where I would be disappointed. Better to have a nice memories.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

funny you should mention that Steve. I already had my GTO, when there was a 49 roadster in the want advertiser. $1200, which was a lot of money for me then, but I would’ve roped my dad in 50-50. When we went to see it, the condition was to put it mildly, disappointing.

I have paid attention to them ever since, but never bought one. I think it would be one of those situations where I would be disappointed. Better to have a nice memories.

AJ: 

Oddly enough, I had never encountered one of the roadsters here in Western New York in the 1960's, was only aware of them from the newspaper want ad section and Cars & Parts magazine I subscribed to at the time.   The first one I saw in the metal was a 1950 in Colorado when I went there to attend college in the early 1970's.   It was in possession of the family with whom I worked and boarded, they keep it for friends from the mid-west when they visited to use running up into the mountains.   It was a very rust-free solid, light yellow with brown interior and tan top.  Being the tough car that they are, the son and his buddies had 'baja-ed' it on a nearby rough section overrun by motocross bikes.  The Dodge withstood that abuse and still ran sweet though with a few scars.  Eventually the owners retrieved it back to their home.  I've often wondered what became of that '50 roadster.

Steve

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, suchan said:

I'm surprised no one's bought it yet.

I thought everyone liked those Mopar business coupes.

Black vinyl interior is a minus, but not a deal-breaker.

Black walls all around with trim rings?

I had JC Whitney seat covers on my perfect mohair interior. I would’ve considered this vinyl a step up.

It's hard for me to believe that's the original paint on a 71 year old car with 98K miles (per the video) on the clock. No scratches, marks, abrasions, hood or wheelwell stone chips, no dull spots at all? The pics & video seem to be highlighting the shiny paint above all else.  How many people have owned this car through the years? What all was done to it? A friend of mine years ago had a black 49 Wayfarer business coupe that was a near mint condition garage kept gem of a car and even with a lot of polishing the original black finish didn't look this nice. You would have to prove that paint statement to me. I'm sure this is a flip, seller has several Ebay completed listings of cars he's sold over the past few months. I will say this business coupe, regardless of its past history, is impressive and in really great condition.