Antique license plate frames

46 woodie

I had same problem, bought a nice set of 1931 Michigan plates and contemporary frames don't support the hole centers.  I didn't care that much for the adjustable frames Edinmass put you onto so I made my own using an $8 set of stainless frames which I cut the bolt tabs off of, some 1/16" makrolon clear sheet and some aluminum sheet metal.  They're not perfect but better than nothing and cheaper than the adjustables.  I found with the Buick #10 machine screws were too small for mounting to the original brackets, 1/4-20 was too large, #12 was just right.

LP 003_LI.jpg

LP 004_LI.jpg

LP 005.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

In New York State it is illegal to place any type of clear plastic over your license plate. The DMV claims it interferes with the red light cameras and can't give a clear picture of the numbers. 

Plastic covering is not worth the $100 fine and points on my license. It's a '46 Ford Station Wagon and I'm not in the habit of running red lights with any of my cars.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

????????

Just pointing out that there are more violations available than red lights.

For instance, we don't realize we are in a school zone and are supposed to be going 20. (yea, we have all made that mistake)

The portable radar takes a pic and the citation comes in your mail.

I don't advocate breaking any laws here, but I might bend them a little to help protect myself.

Points? not in my world.