Question on VIN Identification Numbers

likeold

No, the frame number, which is the car serial number for a 1938 Buick, is located on the upper frame flange near the rear motor mounting.  The engine number is a separate serial engine build number.  Typically the frame number is used for the vehicle registration/title, however, it was also common to see the engine number used for that purpose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, likeold said:

Are engine an chassis numbers suppose to match on a 1938 Buick if everything is original? I have two different numbers.

As above no.  Buick did not have "matching" chassis/frame & engine numbers until late 1950's

What are the numbers?

Will(should) have a body data plate, that has a unique body number

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_til_52.php

The BCA judging manual has a list of  chassis & engine numbers by year

We like photos!

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1938 Buick Specials (Model 40 series) came with a 248 cu in engine from the factory.

1938 Buick Century/Roadmaster/Limited (Model 60/Model 80/Model 90 series) came with a 320 cu in engine from the factory.

I strongly suggust obtaining some books (i.e., Motors Auto Repair Manual, 1938 Buick Shop Manual, 1937-1938 Fisher Body Manual, Buick Master Parts List Manual, 1938 Buick Sales/Dealership Literature, etc.  You would get a better understanding finding out/searching for the information yourself which is a far better rewarding experience.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Corycars said:

So I’ve got a vechiles the I can identify and was wondering if any one can decide the fisher plate that is on the vichele 

7023CE34-9F8D-448C-8D8A-E9D8A3749872.jpeg

Corycars,

I am not a post war expert but I am fairly sure that is a Post War data plate. You would do much better to post a new discussion in the Post War Buick  section of the forum if you want help decoding it. Probably like most of those of us who frequent the PreWar Buick Forum, my books are much too early to decode that late a data plate. 

9 hours ago, Corycars said:

So I’ve got a vechiles the I can identify and was wondering if any one can decide the fisher plate that is on the vichele 

1580519935_dataplate.1.jpeg.03a6e8441ee27ed96729da2d84974929.jpeg

This appears to be a 1978 Model Year plate (ST78)

3BN69 Style = Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

LAN=Lansing, MI body assembly location

15, 15U, 16M PNT = silver top and upper body with dark gray lower body (accent) color (You should confirm this by checking a 1978 Chassis & Body Service Manuals for your car)

TR 24C = I believe this is a light blue cloth interior code

05A = First week of May, 1978 (Build week)

AM6 = split front seat with folding center armrest

I don't know the meaning of the other codes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1