Priming cups do not face up

Michael J. Barnes

On the block of my 1924 Cadillac there is a priming cup for each cylinder. Three or four of them have the cup upright when they tighten, but others go around nearly another half turn before they tighten. Seems to me it looks better when the cups always face up. Is Loctite a solution to this? Put it on the threads, turn till the cups are up, and tighten no more? Will the Loctite do the rest of the work? I would like to hear what product is recommended for this. Thanks.

Edited by Michael J. Barnes (see edit history)

Another solution is a small thin washer filed to size so not seen when seated. Why the condition exists in the first place is a question unless this happens...Or, the base of the priming cup could be machined (if it can be chucked on a lathe's independant jaw face).

Priming cups generally have pipe thread, so don't think washer will help. You might try recutting the thread in either the head or on the priming cup just a little more with the proper size NPT cutter. Or you could wrap Teflon tape around them. People used it on spark plugs all the time.

• 4 weeks later...