Mistery hole on Stromberg carb

zephyrdave

Agree with Gary.

The brand that comes to mind is Southwind; there may have been others.

Southwind kits would consist of the heater, some copper tubing, a fitting to mount onto the carburetor, and a spacer that fit between the carburetor and intake manifold with a vacuum take-off. The installation routed the vacuum from the spacing through the heater to the fitting on the carburetor.

Showing my age, but every school bus I ever rode had one for the driver.

The save-us-from-ourselves folks would probably be mortified if they saw one, but I cannot remember one ever catching fire.

Generally, the hole in the top of the fuel bowl would be along one edge, such that the copper tubing would slide down beside the float. The one pictured appears to have the float directly under the hole.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Could it be that there should be a vent tube of some sort there?

I see similar ideas in the Marine trade where they direct overflow (stuck open float valve comes to mind) into the throat of the carburetor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zephyrdave said:

Yes the hole is over the float.

I'm guessing they did that to prime the carb if the car sat long enough to have the gas evaporate.  They maybe filled the bowl with one of those small pump trigger oiling cans? 

I have an old MoTor repair manual, and there's a diagram of a Stromberg EE series carb that shows that the float chamber vent was on top of the float bowl, where the hole in yours currently is located.  The vent was kind of like a tiny  oil filler breather cap.  I wonder if the stem and cap have gone missing from your carb?