1926 Buick standard six---will not fire.

tomtinker

I have rebuilt a 1926 Stand six.  It was not running when I bought it.   Trying to start it now.  I made sure cam and crank marks were in alignment.  Also that the number one piston was top dead center and fly wheel was on properly and marks showing.  Just for extra easy marked every thing on the crank pulley and engine block for timing.  It will not fire.  Have put fuel in cylinders and use starting fluid in carb.  New points, condenser, coil,  and plugs.  E ery thing set to factory specs.  But will not fire.  Valves are set to .007 cold,  book call for 006 to 008 hot.  Rechecked all setting several times.  I have spark.  Any suggestions?

First question, are the spark plugs firing and if they are, are the firing at the right time, and do you have the firing order of the wires correct? If you have been trying to start it and it failed to start the plugs may have a conductive coating that prevents them from firing. The only way to clean them is by sandblasting. You can do this with a cheap hand held spot blaster but be careful to clean out all the sand. It may help to gap the plugs a little closer than usual. Like .015 if the spec calls for .025.

If the ignition is correct and giving a good spark next thing is to check the carburetor.

I bought my '25 Buick Standard in non-running condition, having been stored since 1992. The plugs and wires were out of it. We reinstalled everything, set timing,etc.,and same issue. Timing was correct and had spark. I assumed the firing order would be the same as a Chevy six (it looks similar) ! A simple check of the shop manual revealed the problem. The Chevy firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. The Buick is 1-4-2-6-3-5 ! It fired right up after moving the wires around .

18 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Have you checked for holes in the heat riser tube? 

would have thought it would have at least tried to start if that was the case 

Do you know the history of the motor? At its heart it’s pretty basic, and while finicky to get “just so” it will run pretty readily even with things way off.

I would suggest going back to basics and check compression, timing, firing order etc. I’ve made plenty of mistakes where I have seen components work in isolation but when part of the system they don’t work right so it also pays to trace things from the beginning of a system

are you running it with or without the spark plug cover on? The wrong plugs can also cause the cover to short them out if they’re too long. 

6 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

would have thought it would have at least tried to start if that was the case 

If that is the case, the engine will pull via the exhaust and the carburetor.  Depending on the size of the holes, the carburetor may not have enough vacuum to atomize fuel.    

5 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

If that is the case, the engine will pull via the exhaust and the carburetor.  Depending on the size of the holes, the carburetor may not have enough vacuum to atomize fuel. 

He also talked about putting fuel in the cylinders directly which would have bypassed this entirely?

37 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

He also said he had spark.  So if he has both spark and fuel, it must be a timing issue.

Would probably be good to also know how he is checking he has spark, I would assume holding one of the leads close to the end of the spark plug?