I'm filling up with regular Gas costing $3.39/Gallon and the car specification calls for using the High Priced gas.

Doug Novak

2 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I am finally thinking EV would be good, mainly due to consistent $4.50 per gallon and likely rising. Investors are predicting crude oil will go back over $100 per barrel again.

Now WTI CRUDE •11 mins    78.10     +2.22 West Texas intermediate Crude oil, And Brent is $81.73/ barrel. Very strong crude oil prices and that will end up with gas going even higher.

Near as I can tell looking at their specifications, nearly any EV being charged at nearly any location in the US will have a lower cost per mile for fuel than an internal combustion engine vehicle. Initial cost and finding an EV that fits your use case are big obstacles to EV adoption.

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

And with a recent oil spill it is doubtful prices will go down any time soon.

On the grand scheme of things, the recent oil spill off the Southern California coast is only a drop in the bucket of the world supply. I suspect that any price hits due to this will be localized to California. Unless, of course, it is being used to justify some profiteering 

21 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Well, TTR, I hope your 8.00 prices are in

Mexican pesos!  No one likes to see

companies charging exorbitant prices,

for any reason.  Prices should be fair to all.

That is definitely in US dollars. Not sure where that photo was taken but there are a few spots going up California 1 between San Simeon and Carmel where gas has always been quite a bit above the state average, it would not surprise me if that photo was taken somewhere along that route. And California’s state average is quite bit above the national average.

Just filled my daily driver at the local cheap gas spot with 87 PON for $4.259/gal. Since I have a PHEV I get a good comparison of cost per mile for internal combustion and for EV driving. With the MPG and M/kWh my car gets, charging at “super off peak” hours (midnight to 6 AM) gets me the equivalent of $0.90/gal gas. If I was on the other EV-TOU rate with my local utility it would be about $2.20/gal equivalent. In either case EV cost per mile is way less than gasoline cost per mile in my area.

I think that EV cost/mile is not the issue anymore - it's a benefit.  And some OEM's have started to use the square torque curve to deliver performance.  I still am dubious about range.  Really 2 ranges:  the range on a full overnight charge, and the range on an 80% charge from a quick "refill."  I often cross the state and return in the same day - 325 miles.  That is still one tank for a typical ICE.  Not sure EV is there yet.  What are you experiencing with real world extended drives at 75-80 mph with no regenerative braking?

53 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

I think that EV cost/mile is not the issue anymore - it's a benefit.  And some OEM's have started to use the square torque curve to deliver performance.  I still am dubious about range.  Really 2 ranges:  the range on a full overnight charge, and the range on an 80% charge from a quick "refill."  I often cross the state and return in the same day - 325 miles.  That is still one tank for a typical ICE.  Not sure EV is there yet.  What are you experiencing with real world extended drives at 75-80 mph with no regenerative braking?

Getting off topic but. . . I did write “Initial cost and finding an EV that fits your use case are big obstacles to EV adoption.” Your use case is not well matched to most current EVs.

8 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Getting off topic but. . . I did write “Initial cost and finding an EV that fits your use case are big obstacles to EV adoption.” Your use case is not well matched to most current EVs.

My impression is that I need to wait until range is 350 or so.  i was interested in what the current 250-300 claimed actually works out to in real use.

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Well, TTR, I hope your 8.00 prices are in

Mexican pesos!  No one likes to see

companies charging exorbitant prices,

for any reason.  Prices should be fair to all.

Last time I checked, oil companies and their franchised local distributors are "capitalistic" endeavors and like all other such, are probably basing their pricing on traditional "supply and demand" principals. 

Besides, there was nobody at that station (in Gorda, CA) holding a loaded gun against my head, forcing me to fill up an almost empty tank, let alone to choose Premium at $8.499 per Gallon. I just did it all with free will and in support of capitalism. 😉

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

My impression is that I need to wait until range is 350 or so.  i was interested in what the current 250-300 claimed actually works out to in real use.

Speed kills range on an EV. The EPA range is based on a mix of highway and city driving so it can’t be relied on for long trips as the city part bumps up the average. There are a number of websites and/or YouTube video channels that perform 70 MPH range tests which might be a bit more realistic (weather and terrain not really controlled for).

I don’t recall any of the EVs that caught my fancy as getting anywhere near 350 miles on one of those 70 MPH tests. Varies from one model to the next but I suspect that you can knock off 10% to 20% off a typical 250 to 300 mile claim getting you somewhere between 200 and 250 miles. And less than that, sometimes considerably less than that, for cold and/or inclement weather.

I went on a camping trip this last weekend. Only 220 miles round trip. Figure 25 mpg in my Toyota pickup with camper shell. That is only $40 in gas. Very cheap. Even at $4.50 per gallon. I filled up with $60 before I left and still have about a third of a tank left, so that mgp must be about right. As far as my "classic car" which at best is very short trips, I wouldn't mind paying $10 per gallon. Actually I enjoy camping, but the time spent on the freeway and highway getting there is not enjoyable at all; just a chore. It was very hot in Northern California still, the high got to 97 on my return trip Sunday.

Hopland Ca gets hot. 97 high yesterday. Should not be that hot in October though.

Hopland CA - The Eating Places