1936 Series 40 Spark Plug Wrench

Rock10

Is there a special tool for taking out the plugs in the straight 8? I have an off brand 3/8 drive 7/8" deep well that works but it binds on the head from time to time and is barely deep enough to reach the bottom of the plug. Is there a go to thin wall socket?

Thanks

Hi  Rock10,, most times we all buy good quality tools , but believe it or not i have also a cheap 

set of sockets , especially my favourite  for spark plug removals, it is about 1/16 inch less in  diameter,

and so clears  head and sides  better than my , higher priced  sockets.

• Like 1

I did not have a 7/8 thin wall socket that would work to remove the spark plugs from my 1937 Roadmaster. I could not find a thin wall socket that would work anywhere, so I recently purchased a set of deep well sockets that included a 7/8 socket at Harbor Freight tools for about $20.  I used an angle grinder to grind down the sides of the 7/8 socket enough to be able to use it to remove the plugs. It is not an elegant solution, but it worked for me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I did not have a 7/8 thin wall socket that would work to remove the spark plugs from my 1937 Roadmaster. I could not find a thin wall socket that would work anywhere, so I recently purchased a set of deep well sockets that included a 7/8 socket at Harbor Freight tools for about $20.  I used an angle grinder to grind down the sides of the 7/8 socket enough to be able to use it to remove the plugs. It is not an elegant solution, but it worked for me. 

When I bought my 1934 50 Series, the seller included a deep-well socket which he had previously ground down in a manner similar to what Matt described (above).

As Matt said, "not elegant", but it worked !

Good luck, and welcome !

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I have never had a problem with Craftsman, although a 1939 is the oldest I have worked on.

Ben

In 1938 they changed from the 18mm to 14mm spark plugs, solving the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

In 1938 they changed from the 18mm to 14mm spark plugs, solving the problem. 

Yes. I was surprised when my normal "old" spark plug socket (13/16) would not work. Most of my 7/8 were too thick to go into the hole.