Buick dilemma

IndianaCarGuy

I have an awful choice, I found a 1922 Buick with a hugely damaged cylinder, needs bored, sleeved, uncertain if the cylinder walls will be able to be bored out to the damage. I also have access to a 1915 Cadillac V8 running gear. Trans,.. checking on if it is stuck. As much as I HATE mix and match, I would consider this, if possible. Any thoughts, or a Buick 6 engine which is available? Also, please tell me if there is ANYONE reasonable to work on cars in Northwestern Indiana.

Robert Swim

• Like 1

Robert,

Of course I am a bit biased, but I suggest you stick with the more modern Buick engine. 

A rebuild will be much more cost effective than adapting the Caddy engine to the Buick.   

I suggest you might sell the Caddy to pay for the Buick restoration.

My $0.02

• Like 2

Cylinders of that era can be bored much more than modern engines. In those days it was expected that an engine would be rebuilt at least once during the life of the car, maybe 2 or 3 times. It is not unusual to bore one 1/8" and I have heard of some blocks being bored 1/4". Since the seventies, they often won't stand a bore job of more than .030 or .060. But cars seldom get a motor job even when they go over 200,000 miles.

If the cylinder is really gouged you can have it sonic tested to find out how thick the casting is.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1