For Sale: 1936 Riley Kestrel Sprite Saloon- $19,750 - Purcellville, VA - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $17,500: October 2021:

For Sale: 1936 Riley Kestrel Sprite Saloon- $19,750 - Purcellville, VA - Still Available, Price Reduced to $17,500: October 2021: See new link below:

1936 Riley Kestrel Sprite - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Pictures lie. This car needs and deserves a full restoration. The paint is terrible. Runs and drives locally. Engine doesn't knock or smoke. Wilson Pre Selector gearbox operational. Plenty of issues to address. Body wood is solid and dry. Serious offers considered. Tyres are olde. Car will need to be trailered.    odometer: 150000

Copy and paste in your email:  5841dd963b0f310fb388de74972cb351@sale.craigslist.org
I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this
 1936 Riley Kestrel Sprite Saloon.

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA a.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA b.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA c.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA d.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA e.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA f.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA g.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA h.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA i.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA j.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA k.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA l.jpg

'36 Riley Kestrel Sprite VA m.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Price Reduced to $17,500: October 2021: (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Probably more valuable back in the U.K. Not an easy car to live with unless you are a trans - Atlantic pilot. Reasonably quick by later 1930's British standards , but not fast at all these days on North American roads. 20 K starts to get you into MK2 Jag territory, or even TD , TE Alvis, much better car's in every category.  

But it does look terrific.

Depending on your local road and traffic environment it could be either a joy or a curse.

By U.K, standards the price is probably quite attractive. Riley cars in general are quite desirable in the U.K. vintage car world, and Kestrels are well regarded within Riley circles. I expect this one will probably make its way back home, and be considered a good find. 

Over here it is a fish out of water.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

AJ: 

Indeed they are.  What's the displacement and horsepower of the DOHC four.   The big unfamiliar, unknown is that Wilson Pre-Selector gearbox.   Is it similar to the Cord 810/812 electric gear shifter?   And, the largest fear is the 'prince-of-darkness' Lucas electrics, I'd assuming.   Undeniably a cool, elegant design  to offset the potential gremlins.

Steve

Riley built their engines in both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder versions. These engines were also built with numerous displacement sizes. All of the engines had a similar design – hemispherical combustion chamber, intake and exhaust valves angled at 90 degrees, short and light pushrods from twin camshafts mounted high on each side of the engine block.  Due to the arrangement of the valves, the engine looks like it has dual overhead camshafts, but these are parrallel valve covers.

WhRiley-engine

https://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/the-white-riley-the-era-and-the-healey-cars/

• Like 1

Very nifty cars. And a little jewel of an engine.  But it is a relatively heavy , coachbuilt saloon .  That very well engineered and intriguing engine is only a 1500. And even in the best version is still only about 60 H.P. So bigger,  heavier and roughly the same power as a MGTF. TF's are nice little cars, but definitely no ball of fire from a raw power point of view. Expect the road manners and performance  to be on par with a Morris Minor swapped with a later MG Midget 1275 engine. { a very popular, bolt in  swap if you want to drive a Minor much in todays traffic, many people also swap on the Midget front brakes. Also almost a bolt on }

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1936 Riley Kestrel Sprite Saloon- $19,750 - Purcellville, VA - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $17,500: October 2021:

Still Available, Price Reduced to $17,500: October 2021:

1936 Riley Kestrel Sprite - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Pictures lie. This car needs and deserves a full restoration. The paint is terrible. Runs and drives . Engine doesn't knock or smoke. Wilson Pre Selector gearbox operational. Plenty of issues to address. Body wood is solid and dry. Serious offers considered. Tyres are olde. Car will need to be trailered. Large collection of Riley special tools included.

Copy and paste in your email:  e2acf57711703535a72c3f1dc2731398@sale.craigslist.org

Edited by 58L-Y8
Crossed out the dead CL link, (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, bob barker said:

Hello,

Just saw this posting last night...I know.

Hello

It was a real listing, ran twice at different times.  Sorry, without a phone number, the trail has gone cold on this one.   One might check with other enthusiast in that area who might know the car and its owner.  Good luck in your search.

• 1 month later...

This car is currently listed on Car-from-UK.com, and is said to be located in Leesburg, Va.  There are two separate identical listings for different prices, both at reduced prices.  I responded to the ad on 1 May 22, but have received no reply, so responded again this morning.  I want to drive to Leesburg to look at the car, especially to check out visibility to the the sides and rear from the right hand driver's seat.  Several years ago I imported from England a RHD Vincent Riley MPH, which appears to be the only Vincent in the U.S. or Canada.  Has a British Ford 1930cc engine and 5 fwd gears British Ford transmission, plus electric cooling fan, dual Weber carbs, & hi-speed rear end.  I drive it with the windshield folded down, and the racing screens up; the canvas top & side screens are stored in the garage.  My first cars in the 1950's were a Singer 1500 and a MG-TF 1250cc.  The right hand drive was an easy adjustment and visibility is great.  The car is quick and nimble ... and fun.  My top speed has been 85 mph on the Interstate and it handled better than at 55 ... just purring along with plenty of reserve power.  If I get to check out the Kestrel will post again.