1931 Hudson Greater Eight Series U Family Sedan

BAT is branching out.  Somebody that knows Hudson can give us the breakdown on the model names and engine sizes.   This has a 233 Straight Eight.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1931-hudson-u/

This 1931 Hudson Greater Eight is a Series U Family Sedan model that rides on a 126” wheelbase and is finished in dark blue over blue fabric. Power comes from a 233ci L-head inline-eight paired with a three-speed sliding gear manual transmission, and equipment includes a body-colored rear trunk, dual fender-mounted spare tires, collapsable rear jump seats, and painted wood-spoke wheels with whitewall tires. This Hudson was acquired by the seller earlier this year and is now being offered with a clean Illinois title in the seller’s name.

The steel body is finished in dark blue, and contrasting gold pinstripes have been added along the belt line as well as on the body-colored lockable rear trunk. Equipment includes a single rear stoplight, reverse-opening rear doors, and dual front cowl lamps. Scratches are visible on the rear trunk along with various paint chips on the bodywork. Note that a number of photos in the gallery show the car with a second rear stoplight, which has since been removed but is included in the sale.

The 18” body-colored wood wheels feature white pinstripes and are mounted with whitewall tires. Two spare tires with white vinyl covers are mounted on both front fenders, and stopping power is provided by Bendix mechanical drums at all four corners. Areas of cracked and chipped paint on the wheels can be seen in the gallery below.

1931_hudson_u_1621986714dfcc93078a974fe8

• Like 4

I think the AACA or Hemmings is a better place to try to sell the Hudson than on BAT.  BAT seems to have lost its nomenclature and now caters to the mostly Porsche, Corvette, low production 20-30 year old cars that should have been driven(!), etc., crowd, instead of the people who would actually have to "bring a trailer" to pick up a project car.  I DO like the Hudson however, and I hope the seller gets the results they are looking for on BAT.

7 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Just the angle of the pic or did Hudson have a lower roof line then other sedans of this time ?

I think the side windows might be lower than the windshield, but the effect is part of the picture.   The cars with the lower greenhouses are also the ones that bring a lot of money.

1931_hudson_u_1625585287d78f42a5d88693s-

• Like 1

A few years back a guy was posting in our cars & restoration projects section about his Hudson project.  He was flying, finished it up pretty fast so I assume a sound start, and maybe some "steers ok, we will leave front end alone" going on, but still a great thread to read if one is thinking about this car.

• Like 1

Hudson’s from the 30’s are 1/2 the car that the 28/29 are. The motor in the car in discussion is a 29 Essex motor with two extra cylinders stuck in the back. If you had or have driven in a Hudson F head, you’ll be highly disappointed with this car. 

• Like 3