1969 AMC Javelin SST

5 years ago I would check Barnfinds each day and BAT once a month.   Now things are swapped.

This is just really cool.  The only thing that would make it better for me is a stick.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-amc-javelin-3/

This 1969 AMC Javelin SST was delivered new to Mel Brown Inc of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania and was acquired by the seller out of Rhode Island in late 2019. In the 1990s the car was refinished in green over a refreshed black interior, and its 290ci V8 and three-speed automatic transmission are said to have been rebuilt. Equipment includes a Holley carburetor, an Edelbrock intake manifold, an aftermarket camshaft, Hooker headers, MagnaFlow mufflers, Cragar wheels, power-assisted brakes with front discs, an eight-track player, and a Mooneyes tachometer. The car was serviced in 2020 with work on the front brakes, an oil change, and replacement of the fuel pump, water pump, and valve-cover gaskets. This Javelin is now offered with its removed air-cleaner assembly and antenna, a reproduction window sticker, receipts dating back to the 1990s, manufacturer’s literature, and a clean Massachusetts title in the seller’s name.

1969_amc_javelin_16225898511c976a628c372

That is beautiful. I really do love those. Possibly the only pony or muscle car I'd want to own. BTW, the ad said it has sold today for $21k. A bigger engine would've brought more maybe, but they seem like a bargain compared to other iconic pony cars of the era.

Any theories why I see so few 1st gen Javelins, but so many 1st gen AMX's on youtube? I thought the Javelins outsold the AMX's by a big margin back in the day. I like the proportions of the Javelin a little bit better, but both are very cool.

My (2 years older) sister’s first car was a 1968 Javelin SST.  My aunt had bought it brand new. 290 auto, white with red interior. My sister used to let me drive it when I was 14.  (Shhhh!). 

I loved that car then. Would like to have it back. She pulled out

in front of a fast moving corvette in about 1985 or 1986 and that was the end of the Javelin. It was fixable but it was just an old beater car at the time. An AMX however was already recognized as something special. I think that explains today’s situation. 

- John

• Like 1

I am all over this car like a cheap suit. Beautiful interior and that color of the exterior sure puts this one over the top. I agree with JamesR, now way can you find another muscle car of this era at this price looking this good.