BUICK and Eddy Lumber Co., Flint, Michigan?

Jolly_John

I have a large wooden BUICK dealer memorabilia item made by the Eddy Lumber Co., Flint, Michigan. Their name and "Flint, Michigan" is stamped on the bottom of the piece. I'm interested in dating the item. I haven't turned up much about Eddy Lumber Co. in Flint in an internet search.

Does anyone in the Flint area know when Eddy Lumber might have been in business? Thanks in advance for any info. John

This family?

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/2014/12/couple_buys_historic_lumber_ba.html

A piece of history

C.K. Eddy was one of the lumbermen building an industry that, in turn, built Saginaw and other communities in the region.

The home was constructed for him as early as 1877, according to a Saginaw atlas from that year that shows Eddy as the owner.

C.K. Eddy and Sons Co. purchased the building at 100 N. Washington, now home to a recent market-rate apartment development, from Jesse Hoyt in 1892. The company added two floors, bringing the tower now known commonly as the "Eddy Building" to six floors.

Eddy's youngest son, C. Kirke Eddy, was Saginaw's first automobile fatality. He was riding Nov. 6, 1900, in a "Locomobile steamer" on North Jefferson when it struck a curb, pitching the lumberman's son to the ground and fracturing his skull, wrote historian James Cooke Mills in "A History of Saginaw County, Michigan."

Eddy's two other sons, Arthur D. and Walter Eddy, inherited both the home on Jefferson and their father's business interests when C.K. Eddy died in 1901.

Arthur Eddy was one of only a handful of people in Saginaw to own "horseless carriages" in 1901, Mills wrote. The Eddy and Wickes brothers also owned the Saginaw Automobile Co. at Water and East Genesee, the city's first business for the care of cars.

Thanks for replying 1939_Buick. I had found this item on the internet previously. It seems the Eddy family had numerous lumbering interests in Michigan, beginning in the mid-1800's. It appears their family was located in Saginaw, Michigan, and not Flint. However, I suppose they could have had operations in Flint, as well. John

Hey, Lamar, you'll just want to buy it, if I post a photo. I've only seen one other like this goodie in 50 years of collecting BUICK dealer memorabilia. I'm not saying more aren't out there, since that would be a silly statement, but I believe not many have survived. Your pal, John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

• 1 month later...