The Packard and the Ford

Terry Bond

One of our local AACA members, Ken Packard, came over to get his 1st driving lesson in a Model T. I willingly supplied my 14. I figured heck, if the Navy trusts him to drive a submarine, he should be just fine in a Model T. Yes- Ken will be commanding a U.S. Navy Nuclear Submarine!  Right now he is attending a couple of special schools before he assumes command, so he used a little of his spare time to play with cars here. Ken owns a Packard, but loves early brass era stuff and learning to drive a T was high on his list. His kids enjoyed the time riding around the neighborhood. Ken took to the Model T like a duck to water - or should I say - a sailor to a ship.

Terry

A Packard and a T.jpg

• Like 10

That's alright! 

Anybody willing to want learn to drive our old relics and appears to have enough common sense ,good co-ordination , listen well and take direction should be giving the chance at the wheel.

Mind you, that is only after they have spent plenty of time with you driving first and observing in detail.

Never let anybody just jump in and solo with a minute of verbal instructions just because they "asked can I drive it" .That goes for  a race car driver cousin or truck driver of 40 years or Rolls owner or  favorite  Aunt Mary.

5 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

One of our local AACA members, Ken Packard, came over to get his 1st driving lesson in a Model T. I willingly supplied my 14. I figured heck, if the Navy trusts him to drive a submarine, he should be just fine in a Model T. Yes- Ken will be commanding a U.S. Navy Nuclear Submarine!  Right now he is attending a couple of special schools before he assumes command, so he used a little of his spare time to play with cars here. Ken owns a Packard, but loves early brass era stuff and learning to drive a T was high on his list. His kids enjoyed the time riding around the neighborhood. Ken took to the Model T like a duck to water - or should I say - a sailor to a ship.

Terry

A Packard and a T.jpg

Terry, it would only be fitting for him to return the favor and give you a little wheel time behind his new ride when they get underway.  sometimes they do a Tiger Cruise or local workups where civilians can get underway with them.  Have him give you a five minute overview on how to drive the sub and then tell him to step aside. 

Thanks Terry- it was a blast! Really appreciate your generosity.

I read that article in this month’s AACA magazine- I’ve wanted to learn to drive a T for a while, but the article kind of pushed me over the edge! I knew there were several Ts in my local club, so I somewhat presumptively asked Terry if he would give the kids and I a ride, and maybe a driving lesson. It was great - the kids got to crank the car over (ignition off of course) and I got to start the car and then go for a nice long drive with Terry and the kids. What a ball! Kids loved it too.

The only problem - now I need a bigger garage! ;) Thanks again Terry.

Edited by Ken_P (see edit history)