1947 Chrysler New Yorker, Glove Box Material

A friend of mine owns a 1947 Chrysler New Yorker 4-door sedan ( I think it is a '47). He repainted some of his dash and did a nice job. Looking at his glove box door he can still detect a slight warp along the top inner seam (he had to point it out to me before I could notice). He believes that the door is made of plastic, possibly attached to aluminum. When restoring the door there was a shallow burn mark that he repaired with some body filler. Questions:

1- Is this glove box door made of plastic?

2- Are there any accepted methods for taking out a slight warp without making it even worse? (I was thinking heat). I recommended that he leave it alone and not point it out to anyone.

Photo is attached: the dirt marks on the door are from when my friend touched it with sweaty hands ... it was hot last Sunday

1245303008_sm1947NewYorkerdash.JPG.7439ae50cebc7efe8e8b417387a8fdc6.JPG

sm 1947 New Yorker glove box.JPG

sm 1947 New Yorker quarter view.JPG

Edited by Roadmaster71
Added model name to text (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I would leave it alone as the majority of these doors (plastic) are cracked.

If you start to mess with it you might make it worse or crack it.

That's just my opinion - from experience.

Thanks, Joe!

I have a ‘48 Windsor, and Mine is cracked as well! Yours looks great, I’d Lea it well enough alone! You can’t find one in good shape anymore. I’m talking with a friend that does 3D printing to see if it’s something he can print. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LRudyD said:

I have a ‘48 Windsor, and Mine is cracked as well! Yours looks great, I’d Lea it well enough alone! You can’t find one in good shape anymore. I’m talking with a friend that does 3D printing to see if it’s something he can print. 

If he can please let me know!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a shop that makes replacement plastic for older cars.  They're willing to make replacement plastic for these cars but I haven't found a decent enough glove box door to use as a model.  If anybody is interested in using one as an example to have the molds made let me know please.

I'm going to send in some of the other plastic pieces soon to see how they turn out.

• Like 1