1950 Windsor won’t move

I just purchased a 50 Windsor took it on its maiden voyage all went well, going up hills seemed like a little vapor lock.  The main problem was I parked in my driveway on a slight slope put the parking brake on now it won’t move I can hear it trying in the gears but won’t move I think the hand brake is locked on how do I get it to release?  

The parking brake is actually connected to the rear of the transmission. It has the driveshaft connected to it.

It is a round "drum" with a lining, which is inside a "band", on the outside. When you pull the brake handle up the lining compresses onto the drum. When you release the handle the "band" should expand and free the "drum" allowing the trans/driveshaft to spin.

The lining/band on yours may be stuck to the drum. It may just need some "help" releasing and/or the spring mechanism may need to be adjusted or lubed to move freely.

Also, sometimes the lining breaks away from the band and can become wedged against the drum not allowing it to spin.

Be sure and block the wheels if you are going under with tools.

You don't want to find success and have the car roll over you.

On another note, being parked for three years could very well have rusted up cylinders.

Apply some pressure and they may not release.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

I dont think you have parking brake issues.

But Maybe master cylinder problems. Did you happen to see if the brake lights were stuck on as well?

Didn’t notice whether the light was on.  My wife drove it part way and said she was having a hard time stopping going down a hill and also the brakes are stiff.  Newer master cylinders get weak when they are failing do these ones get stiff?  Thanks for your help

Pmc,

Its the tiny hole inside of the M/C that gets plugged with dirt and rust.

That hole is covered when the pedal is pressed and when is uncovered when the pedal is lifted it lets the pressure release from the wheels.

If that hole is plugged it makes for a tight pedal , like it wont go down, and it will seem like the brakes are applied all of the time.

So often when parked enough fluid may escape and your brakes will seem normal again.

Since the brakes are applied and if your brake light switch is of the pressure kind your brake lights may be on until the pressure is relieved.

If it does it again try opening a bleeder valve and see what happens, if the brakes release it will most likely mean you need to address your master cylinder.

And if your master cylinder is rusty inside you should inspect all of the wheel cylinders as well.

This kind of thing happens often when parked for long periods, even as short as three years.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:21 AM, JACK M said:

Pmc,

Its the tiny hole inside of the M/C that gets plugged with dirt and rust.

That hole is covered when the pedal is pressed and when is uncovered when the pedal is lifted it lets the pressure release from the wheels.

If that hole is plugged it makes for a tight pedal , like it wont go down, and it will seem like the brakes are applied all of the time.

So often when parked enough fluid may escape and your brakes will seem normal again.

Since the brakes are applied and if your brake light switch is of the pressure kind your brake lights may be on until the pressure is relieved.

If it does it again try opening a bleeder valve and see what happens, if the brakes release it will most likely mean you need to address your master cylinder.

And if your master cylinder is rusty inside you should inspect all of the wheel cylinders as well.

This kind of thing happens often when parked for long periods, even as short as three years.

Jack thank you for the advice that was exactly what was wrong.  The master was all gunked up. I ordered a new master and all the wheel cylinders because I feel they are probably contaminated also.

152D8CC2-1DC3-451D-94B6-21C1BA334553.jpeg

• Like 1