1941 Buick Clutch Release Sleeve HELP

Scott DiGesualdo

Hello,  I am installing my 1941 Buick 56C rebuilt transmission and can not find any information on how the 

"Clutch Release Sleeve" and snap ring are installed with the throw-out bearing.  Can someone please help?  

Here is a photo of the part from Bob's ...  Any help would be greatly appreciated ... Thank you!289404143_s-l640(1).jpg.7522be2fa38faf220e16ee058e36a2ca.jpg

No,  The sleeve goes in the bellhousing and the snap ring holds the sleeve in the bellhousing. Not much of a snap.

You have to be very careful installing the trans since it is easy to knock that snap ring out with the pilot shaft if you are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

The sleeve fits into the bellhousing.  The snap ring behind it.  Then the transmission goes in sandwiching the sleeve/snap ring.       

Okay. Learn something new everyday !

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all ... new issue here - Transmission all re-installed into car with new clutch (aftermarket) from Bob's.  I replaced the cluster gear and also the first/reverse large gear that slides and also new bearings.  When I drive the car - starting out in first gear I hear the transmission wind-up as 

should be ... I press in the clutch but, dont feel I have 'enough' clutch to shift smoothly from first to second.  I have adjusted the clutch free-play 

as stated in the manual and even went a bit more than the 3/4 -1" as noted.  Still not shifting smoothly.  I feel like Im taking the car out of gear (1st to 2nd) without a clutch ... if that makes sense.  I believe the clutch is working properly as I can get under the car and see the action of the pressure plate releasing the disc.  Cant understand why it wont shift out of first smoothly though.... any help would be greatly appreciated!  

There is a bearing in the center of the crankshaft called a pilot bearing. It supports and centers the shaft at the front of transmission. The front end of the shaft of the transmission must be able to spin freely with a good bushing or bearing. Sticking or binding here will cause the gears shafts to rotate to fast, causing gear clash. Using to low viscosity lube will also

You can check for clutch drag with the following:

Park car, set brakes

Put trans in gear (first is fine) 

Depress clutch - start engine 

Hold clutch down while moving lever from first to neutral then neutral back to first - All while continually holding clutch to floor

Having trans in 1st while starting & running (with clutch depressed)  will keep the gears from spinning.

Then when moving lever into neutral will allow the gears to spin.

Any spinning will solely be the result of however much dragging the clutch (or pilot bearing, etc.) is doing. 

With the clutch continually released (pushed) the spinning of the gears should be very minimal. So minimal that you should be able to shift between first and neutral and back as if the engine was not running.

If it grinds or clashes (as if you are driving) or you can not get it back into first at all, then the clutch is dragging or not releasing. The amount of difficulty moving between gears will tell you how much clutch drag there is. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1