Has anyone had any experience installing Air Condition in a Straight 8.. particularly 1950 Buick

ctc72961

Apparently no takers.  Sounds like an interesting project.  

What was first year air conditioning was available in Buicks?

How was that system designed?

Could a vintage underdash unit be used?

Are aftermarket kits or components available from any vendors of custom A/C systems?  Such as Old Air or Vintage Air?

Good luck. 

On 5/13/2021 at 1:22 PM, ctc72961 said:

I have a 1950 Buick (frame up restoration) 6 volt (and it works great) and i was thinking of installing aftermarket AC...any suggestions or recommendations where I might look  thank you 

I have,  with 12V.   Underdash [hanging] unit.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ctc, I used a mishmash of parts. Sanden compressor. Vintage Air condenser.  Hoses locally. I used an original NOS  Mark IV dash unit.  

AC with 6V is doable, but complicated, I believe.

If you go to my profile , you should be able to find posts I did with the installation.  Pics there. If you do not find them, perhaps someone else can find them.  I can try later.

Where is home?

Ben

• Like 1

There was a 37-38 Buick Limited at the Charlotte meet (around 2010) that used a jack shaft on the passenger side of the motor allowing the compressor to be moved half way back on the motor and giving lots more room for the compressor and hoses.

The owner was not around but it was a superior installation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 2:11 PM, ctc72961 said:

Ok thank you 

Found some and post some more. As I have posted several times, the computer and I have a love-hate relation when it comes to pictures.   

Go to my thread " Modified 263 for my 1950 41D"  and go to about Jan, 2017 for some. Also some on the last page.  I am working on [ thinking about ]  adding more into the Gallery.  DO NOT hold your breath.

Ben

I service a 41' Cadillac with factory air and when that car was new you would put the belt on in the spring and take it off in the fall.  It's right in the owners manual.  You have to lose your 6volt because a compressor clutch isn't available in 6volt.  

With all the companies around right now it isn't to hard to add air.   It's just how classy it looks when your done.  I've seen some bad ones.  Kinda like an alternator on a car designed for a generator.  Most make me want to throw up.