Defiance Spark Plugs

Hurler99

People collect spark plugs too!  You don’t necessarily need to know what they fit to sell them especially if the boxes are in nice shape.  Most likely they will not bring more than a few $$ each but it saves you the hassle of trying to figure out what they fit.  Post a picture of them if you can.

I don't have a catalog or cross-reference for Defiance plugs, but the WARM plugs were intended for heavy oil conditions.  It's a hot plug and I believe the 46 is a 7/8" thread, which would fit a wide variety of different engines.  As far as I am aware they were not standard equipment in any particular engine but were sold as aftermarket items.  

Defiance plugs date from the 30s-50's (approximately).  They are very common and it's a case of "every collector has some" so there would be very little collector value or interest except perhaps to a beginning collector, or to someone who might want do display them in their collection of automobile accessory items.  If you can find someone who actually wants to use them great, but I don't believe there is anything really special or unique about them.  Perhaps $5 each if they have their original boxes and are in NOS condition. 

Plug collecting has become quite popular over the years.  Still though, there are only a couple hundred dedicated (hard-core) collectors worldwide who are actively seeking additions to their collections.  There are hundreds more casual collectors though, who will pick one up when discovered, just because it's neat.   People seek them to use in early cars and engines, to display in collections of automobilia, or to just see how many different brand names they can accumulate. 

The Spark Plug Collectors of America has documented over 4000 different brand name spark plugs produced over the years.  Of course that includes a number of plugs produced especially for small-town garages with their name printed on them.  Generally speaking, the earlier, rarer, and more unusual the plug is, the more valuable it could be.  It still takes years of collecting and networking among others to know all the ins-and outs of collecting.   Just because a plug looks odd doesn't mean it's worth a fortune. Some are quite common, and even the rarest plugs known, were produced in very large quantities.  

It's an interesting thing for antique auto enthusiasts to collect.  You can learn more by checking the Spark Plug Collectors of America website and Facebook pages.

Terry

• Like 3

With a name like Defiance you could fluff up the sales pitch by saying they were rare and very early resistance plugs.

To get the best price don't say you have ten. Offer a group of four and promote those as the last four in the world. Ten will make it look like you have a plethora.

When buyers have a sense that you have a lot they just remember you and say they will buy later.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, padgett said:

Hey I have a set of JC Whitney Fire Injectors, are they worth anything ?

Save them for a hundred years and they might be worth a buck each.  I'd recommend sending them back to J.C. and asking for a refund though.

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, padgett said:

Hey I have a set of JC Whitney Fire Injectors, are they worth anything ?

Put a new set of J C Whitney plugs in your car and feel the added power. Then drive to town and look for a car similar to yours. Pull up next to them at a stop light. when the light turns green give it the gas and see how quickly you leave the similar car behind. The other driver will be truly amazed, as will you.

I remember that from the text of the ads and never forgot it. It reminds me of a guy I worked with who always wore red suspenders. "People see my red suspenders and think I am a fireman" he would often say. My son and I took a walk one evening and we had a discussion about that man. My son was fairly young at the time but if you ask him "could that person think he's a fireman?" You will always get a smile out of him.