Atlantic Crossing Auto trivia

alsfarms

We watched, with interest, the first  episode of "Atlantic Crossing".  Being that I am a good bit Scandinavian, this story line is of great interest to me and it takes place at a time frame that my parents lived through.  The inter family relationships between all the WW2 countries is rather deep.  So much for the story plot.  I will be on the edge of the seat, not missing any of the next 7 episodes.  Now for the Auto trivia question.  I am not real well versed in late 30's automobiles.  The big black State sedan, was that auto a large series Buick?

Al

• Like 2

Somehow I suspect FDR had quite a lot of other things on his mind at this point in history.

The show is something I might watch for the backgrounds, cars and ships. Kind of tired of flashy celib-worship fiction (semi-fiction in this case).

I spent time in northern Norway in the early 1960s  when the resistance was not a faded memory and many of my mentors still re-lived the convoy crossings they made in that time frame.

The only slight friction on my ship was between the north and south Norwegians. The Bremerhaven contingent got along with everyone. 😄

Edited by JimKB1MCV
autocorrect (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We also are watching the series and think it wonderfully done. I commented to my wife, that I didn't realize that there were that many American cars in Norway and Sweden at the time. Being Norwegian, I'll need to do some research on early Scandinavian auto manufacturing, if any.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 9:55 PM, 46 woodie said:

We also are watching the series and think it wonderfully done. I commented to my wife, that I didn't realize that there were that many American cars in Norway and Sweden at the time. Being Norwegian, I'll need to do some research on early Scandinavian auto manufacturing, if any.

Sorry to quote obvious , but Saab and Volvo spring to mind😊

• Like 1

The second episode of Atlantic Crossing is now history.  I now wonder how accurate the show depicts Pres. Roosevelt and Eleanor?  I thought his being physically limited would get in the way of being a womanizer?  I tired to do an Internet "Fact Check" for the second episode but was not very productive just yet.  What are some of your thoughts of episode 2.  I was humored by the Pres. playing cat and mouse with his secret service support in his pretty red 1935 Ford Convt. coupe.  That scene almost made me look favorably at Ford.....almost!  🙂  Was the state car shown a 1939 Cadillac series 60?  I was surprised that some of the other state cars were depicted to be late 1920's and early 1930's automobiles.  I am enjoying gleaning what I can, that may be "true", about this Norwegian Scandinavian country and world politics.  I didn't know that Sweden was rather hitched at the hip with Germany.  Points out how much power and influence our wives have!

Al

On 4/18/2021 at 5:04 PM, 46 woodie said:

Volvo yes, but Svenska Aeroplan AB, (SAAB) an aircraft company,  didn't start making SAAB cars until '49/'50.

That’s weird I thought  Saab May have been later after I posted and thought to check , but forgot.

thanks for information