51 Lincoln crate engine options

Hotrodlinkin

I’m buying a 51 cosmopolitan in a few days. The original flat head is still in it but on its last leg. I’d like to give it some life, power, & growl. Really bring it to life. What crate could I get with the least modification? I’m pretty new to this so go easy on me....

Although this is a restoration of original equipment and features forum, I would recommend perhaps a 1952-'57 Lincoln OHV V8 which were mated to Hydra-Matic like in your Cosmopolitan through the 1954 model year.  You would have to determine if bell-housing bolt patterns are the same as the 1955-'57 Lincoln Turbo-Drive, which might be possible.  That would give you the option of the 368 ci engine.   I wouldn't rule out the original flathead, they are a great, rugged engine, were used in the Ford F-7 and F-8 trucks of the same period,  Rebuilt kits are available.  Whatever you decide, avoid the SBC at all costs!

2 hours ago, Hotrodlinkin said:

What crate could I get with the least modification?

None of them.

Anything other than a stock replacement will require modifications and fabrication. Custom linkages, custom mounts, larger radiator, different exhaust, different trans or adapter, etc, etc. Keep in mind that you are starting with a car that isn't popular, so there aren't any "bolt-in" kits for this.

This is not to say that you should or shouldn't do it, that's entirely your call. My point is that most people who haven't done this before think it goes just like on the TV shows where they get the car completely rebuilt in a week. Hint: "reality" TV isn't real. If you lack the skills and facilities and tools to fabricate parts and make stuff work, then you'll be paying a shop to complete it. Again, a project like this can be a fantastic learning experience, but it will require time, money, space, and fabrication skills. Do this with your eyes open.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Agreed on staying away from a bellybutton. SBC and LS swaps have been done to death and to me indicate absolutely no creativity or imagination on part of a car builder.

You may come out as cheap rebuilding your Linken's flathead time you factor in all the fabrication. You might be amazed at the stuff that's still out there to heat up a flathead.

Should you go for a different drivetrain... at least do something original and cool. The above-mentioned 50s Lincoln OHV V8, or even a 60s version. 

How many miles on the original engine? What is the matter with it, what is the oil pressure, have you done a compression test?

It is possible that you could have it purring with a tuneup and maybe a valve job. Unless it is completely shot it would be easier and cheaper to fix the old engine, provided you can get parts for it. I would be asking the Lincoln experts about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a data point, here's a 1951 Cosmo for sale at Hemmings that's been resto-modded. It has an EFI 351 from a truck, power disc brakes, A/C, cruise, etc. I guarantee that the seller has more than the asking price into the car (the ad claims a $200K investment, for what that's worth). It can be done, obviously. The question is, at what price?  And yeah, I just noticed that for $50K asking price (and a $200K build cost), you get a bungee cord to hold the battery in place. 😲

78417951-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=8

78417957-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=8

78418023-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=8

78418027-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=8

78417985-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=8

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

De Debbil is in de details...🙃

My question is why would anyone want to install a computer-controlled engine with all its attendant complications? My 93 F150 is in a snit and natcherly there are 4 computer-controlled parameters that could be the cause, and it doesn't set a code so basically you have to throw parts at it. Not my idea of a good time.

25 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

My question is why would anyone want to install a computer-controlled engine with all its attendant complications?

Because not everyone is afraid of electrons (or ones and zeros). 😉