For Sale: 1973 Chrysler Imperial LaBaron - "Super Clean 100% Stock" - Merced, CA - Not Mine - 3/31 Deleted

For sale on Craigslist: 1973 Chrysler Imperial LaBaron 4-door Hardtop in Merced, CA  -  $7,500  -  No phone # provided.  Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  da35cfd715013d79a1f31c19b119cbfc@sale.craigslist.org     

Link: https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/merced-1973-chrysler-imperial-labaron/7298911222.html

Seller's Description:

1973 Chrysler Imperial LaBaron 4-door Hardtop                                                                                                                                                                 

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 111111
  • odometer rolled over
  • paint color: green
  • title status: clean

The 1973 model year saw new federal bumper standards to prevent damage. This meant the Imperials gained large rubber over-riders front and rear, adding 5.8 inches (147 mm) to the car's length, making it the longest production car in North America for that year and the longest postwar (non-limousine) production car at 235.3 inches (5,977 mm). As 1973 was in general a good year for the auto industry, 16,729 of the 1973 Imperials were built and sold. Two all-black LeBaron sedans were delivered to the US Secret Service, which then turned them over to Hess and Eisenhardt, which converted them into limos for Presidential use. Both cars were used as late as 1981, and carried Ronald Reagan and his staff to Capitol Hill for his Presidential Swearing-in ceremony in January 1981.

This car is unmolested and sits just as it did some 48 years ago when new. I even have the original production broadcast form showing all the intimate details.

Strong 440 V8 with original everything. It runs very strong and smooth. Original leather seats are in great shape just like the rest of the interior. Driver seat shows most wear of course.

It runs fine and does have a few minor items to be mentioned:
- Original Thermo-Quad carburetor making it hard to start - A nice Holley would do the trick
- The climate control servo will need replaced
- Tires are worn
- AC non operational
Dash lights need attention
- a few small areas of rust 

image.thumb.png.f77e46fb26b1574763c4031d43c899e6.png         

image.thumb.png.9eb6a873f541a086c675d6a9864acc2b.png          

image.thumb.png.9eb1a346ffc11fbe6c1fe7276641a4a4.png             

image.thumb.png.dc86a48c289eb6c41d0df34fa2913d12.png                                                                                                                                               

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

One of my favorite MoPars of the post-war era...gargantuan proportions! Perfect ride and good power...working on the Auto Temp II roughly equivalent to a living nightmare though...and the rim-blow horn...neat idea, but they never seem to work. 

I had a black 2 door - one of a few cars I truly regretted selling...

Greg

Edited by SuperJonas (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Nice looking car in spite of being a 1973. The huge bumpers sure made many of the cars in '73 pretty ugly IMO. 

Somebody explain to me again why some '73 cars didn't have to implement the big bumpers. I know many of the nice looking pony cars of the era - Challenger, Mustang, Cuda, Vette and Javelin - got around the requirement for some reason, but I'm not used to seeing big cars from that year without the loading dock bumpers. Maybe this car just had a better (less conspicuous) designed bumper?

JamesR-

Think about the 1973 Corvette.  The law was grandfathered in to give the manufacturers an opportunity to adjust when the law was implemented and some cars were in the middle of styling periods.   

The Corvette being a prime example.  The front end, as in this Imperial with the small vertical bumper guards, of the 1973 Corvette had the new "5 mph" bumper, as in no separate chrome bumper, while maintaining the full chrome rear bumper.  But in 1974 the Corvette was all 5 mph.  

I believe 1973 was the changeover year and so manufacturers were allowed to keep the rear bumpers tight and integrated.  Smarter minds can correct me or add.  

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/11/05/archives/1973-is-the-year-of-almost-bumpers.html

Found this article from the New York Times 1972. IMO the auto industry had to comply with the 5 MPH crash test before the model year of 1973 and some were not prepared for this, while other larger cars were able to design this into the cars. My friend purchased a 1973 Chevelle and the bumpers looked like an afterthought. They met the crash test requirement, but looked like they were added on after the car was designed. 

• Thanks 1

1973 required 5mph front bumpers and 2 1/2 mph rear bumpers on all cars, (1974 changed to 5mph bumpers on rear for all cars).  Those huge rubber bumper guards on the front and rear accomplished this in a strictly full on frontal or rear collision but not in an angled collision. I think the government realized they needed to change the 'letter of the law' for 1974 to get car companies to meet the actual intent of the law that was skirted in 1973. Same thing with the side lights required for 1968 being changed to having to be visible on a parked car in 1969 and then changed in 1970 to being both a light and reflector in the law, Chrysler Corp was the biggest law skirter in 1968 with lights and no reflectors and 1969 with reflectors and no lights.

• Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1973 Chrysler Imperial LaBaron - "Super Clean 100% Stock" - Merced, CA - Not Mine - 3/31 Deleted