Lots of Buick parts at Chickasha, OK. swap meet

Pete Phillips

I found Buick parts for sale at every 3rd or 4th swap meet space at Chickasha on Friday--amazing--the most I have ever seen there.  Most vendors were set up outdoors rather than indoors--probably safer and healthier that way. Crowd was a bit down from the past, but this is proof that you can still have some events and not be completely shut down due to the virus.

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

• Like 2

There was a 1914 Cadillac 5-Passenger Touring that folks from Amarillo, Texas brought up.  An absolutely beautiful, and BIG car.  They were driving it around on the grounds for a while.  This was the last year for the 4-Cylinder engine for Cadillac and it ran like a fine watch.  I and several others got to see the engine running while they were parked for a bit.  And of course I didn't have the camera with me then.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

It was a good swap meet and great to see all of the Pre-War Buick contingent.  Good to get together and swap stories of our projects. One of the Buick Pre-War meetings we have throughout the year.

Pete saw a lot of later pre-war parts, but I did not see too much brass or nickel parts, at least that I recognized or needed.  I saw the the '13 engine, but nothing that I need. 

You never know what may come up for parts though. I did find a lot of parts for one of my other cars.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

This is what pissed me off. Did anyone notice the loaded trailer in front of the west building covered with a tarp? It was 3 guys from San Diego, they rented a vendors space so they could go thru all the sellers items (to buy) the day before the meet opened to the public.

I have collected antique radios for over 50 years and every Antique flea market I have attended there were always "Cherry Pickers" buying up stuff pre dawn set up on the cheap.. Then it went on their table later at a great mark up. The same dealers I knew then carried these items around for years getting more shop worn and damaged. Same thing happens at all automotive swap meets. My first experience in car parts was at the 2012 BCA nationals. I saw some 1937 parts I would have liked to have for sale at the flea market by a well known 36-37-38 supplier of parts. Still a bit pricy for me so I passed. Another neighboring vendor bought them and placed them on her tables at double the price. At our space at Hershey, friend Dave and I have been talked down on price by a thought to be fellow Buick guy in need. Later to be found on their table with a substantial markup. Unfortunately that is the way it is.

1 hour ago, dibarlaw said:

Unfortunately that is the way it is.

I was aware of vendors playing the buy and mark-up game. It just shocked me, that people would portray themselves as vendors and buy a space, just so they could buy on set-up day, with no intention of selling.