Winfield Carburetor on the Fast Four?

jari12

Has anyone run a Winfield carb on their Fast Four?  My car had a Winfield Model M 201 A on it when I got it.  I am working on the carb and was wondering if it would be better to find an original Stewart or if the Winfield would be as good or better.  There seems to be quite a following for them with the Model T crowd.  Any information or experience would be would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I have never tried to run a Winfield on a Fast Four, so no information to your exact application; however:

(Opinion) up to about 1932, the three leading (quality) manufacturers of carburetors in the USA were Stromberg, Zenith, and Stewart.

To your comment about the Ford T owners: there are a number of them that are quite happy using an aftermarket Stromberg.

Jon.

14 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

What model Winfield do you have? I would think it would be better then a Stewart. 

I have a Model M 201 A.  So it's one of the early updraft ones and has a small bore. It was installed on my car when I got it but the throttle was stuck.  I'm just starting to fiddle with it.  It's a pretty cool carburetor and looks complete with the globe shaped choke assembly.

3 hours ago, carbking said:

I have never tried to run a Winfield on a Fast Four, so no information to your exact application; however:

(Opinion) up to about 1932, the three leading (quality) manufacturers of carburetors in the USA were Stromberg, Zenith, and Stewart.

To your comment about the Ford T owners: there are a number of them that are quite happy using an aftermarket Stromberg.

Jon.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am just fiddling with the car so far.  I have been collecting bits and pieces and have yet to dig in and get it going.  Hoping to have time to get it running this spring and need to decide which route to take on the carburetion.  The Winfield was on it but I have only seen DB's with Stewart Carbs which is why I was asking about other's experience.  I am leaning toward using it because that's what was on it.  The car was cut down to make a doodlebug.  I don't plan to do a restoration just want to make it a car again (probably speedster/boat tail).   So non-original is OK with me.  

Edited by jari12 (see edit history)

Nice thing about the Winfields and your Model M is included is that they have 3 adjustable jets. You can tune it to make your engine run at optimal. 

So many carburetors from the period have at least some fixed jets. If nothing else the gasoline has changed more than just a little in a century so you need a fully adjustable carb whatever brand you choose.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

According to friend that knows Winfields that is an early carb. He thinks too it would be better then the stock Stewart. Get it running and decide. If mine I would find the right carb for the shelf. 

Thank you for the feedback.  I do need to get it running.  I have the Winfield partially disassembled and was able to free up the throttle and the choke which were both stuck. I've had it now for quite a while and have tinkered with a few things.  The motor turns over by hand but it has two stuck valves.  planning on pulling the head and the pan soon. I also have to go through the electrical system.  My interest is still high but reality keeps the car pretty low on the priority list.  Getting it running would get me some leverage to move it up the list.  Even though the frame was cut to make a tractor, the drive train is all stock.  I'm planning to lengthen the frame and torque tube back to stock (or near stock) and make a custom body from the cowl back.  I love the look of Bob Zetnick's green and black car or I have considered a boat tail but more along the line of a skiff-body.  It won't go back to original, but it would be a good use ( I hope )of what was left when I found the car.  Thanks again for the feedback.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, Layden B said:

Nice thing about the Winfields and your Model M is included is that they have 3 adjustable jets. You can tune it to make your engine run at optimal. 

So many carburetors from the period have at least some fixed jets. If nothing else the gasoline has changed more than just a little in a century so you need a fully adjustable carb whatever brand you choose.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for the Winfield Layden B.  I like the look of it and think it will be fun to get it working again.

3 hours ago, stakeside said:

I had my Stewart properly rebuilt and it runs great.

Thanks Stakeside.  They are a nice carburetor also and clearly work well.  Every DB of similar vintage to mine that I have seen or seen pictures of is running one. I may have a lead on a source for a few Stewarts near me.  But since I already have the Winfield (because it came on the car when I got it) I just wanted to see what others experiences have been with one.  Thank you.

If you are just wishing to get the engine running on the carb you have, go for it. However, if you plan to tour with the car and the Winfield, you might consider either a larger gas tank, or replicate a "moonshiners car" with the 'shine tank being an auxiliary gas tank ;)

Jon.

• Like 1