Leaky rope seal

Rusty_OToole

Lots of old cars have a so called rope seal on the back of the crankshaft. They tend to leak when they get old especially if the car has been out of service for a while. Does anyone know of a cure for this short of taking the engine apart and putting in a new seal? And for that matter  how successful is it to replace the seal without taking out the crankshaft?

I have a 1942 Chev six with an early fifties engines (splash lubrication) that has this problem.

Hi, Pull the pan, and remove the rear main cap. Using a dowel or suitable pusher, from one side, push the upper seal out from one side, and pull it out with pliers when you can get a good hold. Bottom part of seal is easy. Some people use wire pushed through the top area, tied to the seal to pull it through. Pull the wire, and push the seal to get the new piece in. Also push the upper seal in on the sides (I use a medium small screwdriver ) so it doesn't get thin. Not the best, but it works. Leaks can be caused by Loose bearings too. SOMETIMES you can get molded rubber replacements, MUCH easier to install.  Loosening all the mains will make it easier to install the upper part of the seal. Not too much, 1/8 "  approximately. Good Luck.

Edited by 040under
more info (see edit history)

Sneaky Pete is the tool.

I have not used one, and here is some more data on the Chevy 216, 235:

https://chevytrucks.org/rear-main-seals/

There was one particular thread (of many) on this subject on the VCCA forum that suggested using a piece from the old bottom seal to pack into the old upper seal to tighten it. You would then use a new bottom seal. They said this was a recommended procedure at one time. There was also discussion on using the older type seals, nos, rather than the new ones that were causing problems.

I never have tried it but thought it was an interesting idea.

Dave