Flywheel markings

aunty norm

They are valve timing and dead center marks, and one appears to be for setting the timing of the points. I don’t have my National books at home. Do you need information to set timing?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The writing on you flywheel is opposite time mine. Is your marker on our Drivers side Terry. 
Do you set it at exhaust closed on your marker to drop the chain on. 

Unless it’s one of those photos that flips itself around just to trick us. 
Ign 1-6 is for setting your spark before top dead centre. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

So, according to the top photo, your points should open at the ING 10 as I suggested. You can use the engine crank and test light to set the timing this way........it’s called “static timing” and it’s 100 percent accurate, and the way it would have been done at the dealer when new. The only drawback with this is you can’t check your timing advance mechanism. That’s why a distributor tester is helpful even on single point cars.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stakeside said:

I have a DA-6 engine and I thought the timeing  marks on the crank and camshaft gear set the proper valve timing. 

I have a 53 Crysler grind on my Cam  which works really well in our victory engine I’ve been told. I had to step the cam gear key way  by 1.5mm to get the timing correct. 
when cylinder 6 is at TDC the intake on cylinder 1 had to be at .030” opening. That’s the position it had to be at to drop the chain on. Once it was on I turned the engine a couple of times and re checked the valve and  it ended up at .032” which is ok. Clive at Clive cams said + or - .003” is ok. 
Doing it without stepping the cam gear the number 1 inlet valve was at .009” opening. 
I hope that makes sense. 

7B23010A-229A-410E-B9F1-53818A2E612C.png

5C300204-A5E9-4A15-B31C-A7B527342032.png

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)