Anyone with good Photoshop skills or suggestions?

AURktman

I bought an old photograph off of eBay and from the time they posted it to the time they shipped it out, they damaged the photo.  I have a photo of the original photo from eBay and the hard copy that I've scanned here, I was just wondering if it were possible to "fix" the high res scan of the original using the photo from eBay.  It looks like they had a piece of tape get on the photo and ripped it loose.  Here are the photos, any advice would be awesome! 

From eBay:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.930db9bc5149d789e4dcecce7494b828.jpg

As delivered: 

802216400_ModelAArenburgh.thumb.jpeg.19e47029a19a6129f90efa2e941552e7.jpeg

My staff can do such work, for sure. But keep in mind that it can take hours to do it really well. That means getting a REALLY good scan of the image, and then blowing that up, and working in multiple layers to recreate the missing "information." Lots of folks could do a quick attempt at making it "better," but it will still be an obvious retouch. Doing it right would be 3 to 5 hours of work by a skilled person with top quality equipment. That's a pretty tall order. 

If you bought it on eBay, and it doesn't look like what you bought...reject it and get a justly-deserved refund, instead of spending lots of someone's time and effort to "restore" it. 

• Like 1

The eBayer made it up by adding a few more photos to the handful I bought.  I wish I had a better scan of the pre-damaged photo, but that’s the only one they posted on eBay. Here is the original listing. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-3-Black-And-White-Photos-ladies-car-/174491125522?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

On 2/2/2021 at 9:42 AM, lump said:

My staff can do such work, for sure. But keep in mind that it can take hours to do it really well. That means getting a REALLY good scan of the image, and then blowing that up, and working in multiple layers to recreate the missing "information." Lots of folks could do a quick attempt at making it "better," but it will still be an obvious retouch. Doing it right would be 3 to 5 hours of work by a skilled person with top quality equipment. That's a pretty tall order. 

If you bought it on eBay, and it doesn't look like what you bought...reject it and get a justly-deserved refund, instead of spending lots of someone's time and effort to "restore" it. 

I would do that if it were a rare car in the photo or a really valuable photo, but the whole stack of photos was $5.00. I did trace down from the info on the back and found the grave listing for the woman, I scanned the other photo I received of the woman and posted it to her Findagrave listing. 

I have had several old family photographs restored by my local camera shop. They did a beautiful job and you can't tell where the touch up's were. I would give your local camera shop a try.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

I have had several old family photographs restored by my local camera shop. They did a beautiful job and you can't tell where the touch up's were. I would give your local camera shop a try.

We have a local place like that which still develops 35mm film. I still have a couple of rolls to get developed.  They’ve only waited for 20 years...  ha!  

I use the free shareware version of www.Irfanview.com for basic cropping and image correction.   Its easy to use.   They may have more capable, sophisticated iterations available for purchase but try the basic version first.  This is just a quick clean-up on did in a couple minutes with it.

ModelAArenburgh - tryout.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1