Retaining Clip Slips Out

MochetVelo

In my 1915 Overland, the cone clutch throw-out bearing is held in place by a retaining clip in the flywheel shaft. This 3/32" clip is the correct type, but it pops out. I think this is caused by wear in the slot. My question: how can I repair the slot? Ideally, it would be filled and a new slot turned on the lathe.

The first photo shows the retaining clip and throw-out bearing. The clip O.D. is held by the recess you see atop the bearing housing. The second photo shows the flywheel with tapered I.D. for cone clutch and the crankshaft emerging from the center. The stub around the crankshaft has a slot for the retaining ring near it's end. The third photo is a close-up of the slot. Note sloping wear in the slot. The retaining ring rolls out.

Phil

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

What are they made of? I have heard of making new steel clutch plates from cut down circular saw blades when replacements were not available. Have also heard of cutting friction plates from masonite. The mechanic who did this, was an Indian motorcycle expert. He made a new clutch for an Indian 4 that came with a multi plate wet clutch with steel and brass plates, his steel and masonite replacement worked better and smoother, did not stick together when cold and lasted for many years. He also had a trick to separate the plates when cold, he drilled holes around the edge of the plates and put in pieces of neoprene O ring to act as springs to push the plates apart.