1911 Cadillac, not mine

00S0S_fkcZcaKzQ1E_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

This 1911 Cadillac Model 30 Touring was purchased new in San Bernardino Valley California by then President of the Santa Fe railroad (San Bernardino region). The proud original owner drove this car enough that the Cadillac Motor Car Company awarded him with a brass Cadillac Fifty Thousand Mile Club plate mounted on the firewall (cowl). The car was loved by the original owner and driven for many years. At some point he came across a 1912 Cadillac being parted out and purchased an extra engine, transmission, rear end, front axle, steering, springs and boxes of small parts to keep his 1911 going in the future. Around the year 1956 the original owner began to restore some pieces of the 1911 Cadillac but became ill and passed away one year later. This information was provided by his grandsons whom sold the car to the Schaefer’s in 1970. The Schaefer’s in Redland California had purchased an original one owner 1911 Cadillac Touring still running and driving (a survivor if you will) in 1970 a 59 year old testament to 1911 turn of the century engineering. The Schaefer’s ran the car locally in Redland California only a few times, they acknowledged that the cost to restore the Cadillac would exceed their capabilities. The Schaefer’s then sold the car to a museum owner halfway around the world in 1973. Mr. Southward, the museum owner had displayed it as a survivor for a short time and then moved the Cadillac into a time capsule building where non-displayed cars are kept. The years past, over forty five years later a restoration shop in the States reached an agreement with the museum manager and the voyage home began for the 1911 Cadillac. On September 1st 2020 the one hundred and nine year old Cadillac rolled onto U.S. soil for the first time since 1973. Now in a restoration shop in Montana the mostly original 1911 Cadillac Touring is still running. A car that has survived this long is deserving of its place in a U.S. museum or a professional collection to preserve its survival. Call Kevin for more info at

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

If she lived in AZ, and bought all of the 1911 Cadillacs from private individuals. She would not pay any sales tax, as I understand it? Maybe I am wrong. I think she could live in Alaska, and not pay sales tax? Not sure if Oregon charges sales tax on cars? Might be wrong on all of it.

Nevada doesn't charge sales tax either, as long as a car's bought from a private party or occasional car-seller, not a full-time dealer.