Unknown car

AHa

I swear I just saw a car with this radiator and hood shape yesterday in this thread but now cannot find it. This picture was posted down in the horseless carriage thread and no one has been able to identify the car. I just knew I'd be able to identify it but now can't find the twin! Does anybody recognize it?

post-59439-143139283927_thumb.jpg

I remember that car from some past threads about it. I don't remember whether it was here or the Model T Ford Club of America forum (  https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/index.php  ) for the forum's index page.

I don't recall the fellow's user name offhand (may or may not be able to find it?), but the car was discussed at some length with no certain identification. As I recall, he shared a number of photos of the car, including close ups of the chassis. He was considering being able to buy the car, but I don't recall if he did. It was likely a friction driven transmission, and several suggestions were made as to manufacturer. I know Lambert was suggested, and Lambert had used a number of unusual different radiator shapes. The size of the chassis suggested it may have been a light delivery truck. That would be unusual for a friction drive, but some were built back in the day. 

Clearly, it had been somewhat restored at some time, probably back in the '50s. It was also suggested that it may have been a bunch of era bits and pieces put together, and not a single car originally. Looking at the radiator, if I recall correctly, I think it had had a modern core installed?

An intriguing possible project?

Ok, I see my mistake. Yesterday I was perusing the What Is It thread and the White truck pictures caught my eye. The radiator of this car is an extreme version of the earlier white trucks, especially at certain angles. What I remembered seeing, was a more extreme version of the pictures, closely resembling this car's radiator shape.

The radiator core of this car is the same as a 1914 Chevrolet model H. More pictures can be viewed in the Horseless Carriage thread of this site.

I keep hearing stories about these notorious made up cars. In my limited experience, I've never seen one. It takes a huge amount of engineering to cobble all the parts together to make a car, then I'm finding that original manufacturers didn't consistently use the same parts suppliers.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

I had the same thought about one of the photo's on the White truck thread. But it was a truck that was not a White. The one that appears to be a German military truck.  Or possibly a photo that has been deleted from the thread. When I first glanced at it I was struck by the resemblance to the mystery vehicle radiator.

I wonder if the radiator is the red herring leading people wrong in a possible I.D. ? Perhaps it has no connection to the chassis or the unusual top tank shape is a later modification ? Anyone know where it has ended up or is it still yard art ?

Greg

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Anyone know where it has ended up or is it still yard art ?

Greg

That is a good question Greg. Also, are there more pics of this car as it sits?

The story goes the guy who got it to the shape it is now, died, evidently without a will. The car was tied up in an estate and eventually was pulled out to where it sits here. The guy that posted the original thread felt sorry for the condition and eventually got permission to put it back in dry storage but without title or some form of ownership, is reluctant to invest time or money into it. If he had a brand of car, he could begin an effort to gain a title but as yet, no one has been able to identify the car's maker.

Greg, thankyou for your comments. At least now I know I'm not as crazy as I might appear.

As to authenticity,  the rest of the pictures in the original thread show a professionally built car, not some home made parts. I posted this picture in google pictures but didn't find anything close.

Greg, I don't know how to provide a link to the original post. If, however, you are willing to go the old fashioned way, scroll down to nearly the bottom of this forum and find Horseless Carriage. Scroll down under that heading to the 12th posting and you're there!

The story goes the guy who got it to the shape it is now, died, evidently without a will. The car was tied up in an estate and eventually was pulled out to where it sits here. The guy that posted the original thread felt sorry for the condition and eventually got permission to put it back in dry storage but without title or some form of ownership, is reluctant to invest time or money into it. If he had a brand of car, he could begin an effort to gain a title but as yet, no one has been able to identify the car's maker.